The "Official" Nevermore Gear Thread

silverwulf

Ghost in the Machine
Mar 6, 2002
Manassas, VA
Visit site
I know there's fan's of Jeff Loomis, his tone, etc...so I thought I'd post this here. Plus, if you want to know what things like a Mesa Dual Recto, Mesa triaxis, Mesa Mark IV, etc...sound like, you've got some album where they were used exclusively! Here's a summary of all the info collected, and everything is 100% accurate so far, coming from Neil Kernon and Andy Sneap. If you have anything to add, please chime in here:

Nevermore (Self Titled):

Solid State Head Unit (Exact Model Unknown - Owned by Jeff at the Time)
Unknown 4X12 Cab with Celestion Speakers (Exact Model Unkown)

Politics of Ecstacy:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV Head Unit
Unknown 4X12 Cab with Celestion Speakers (Exact Model Unknown)

Dreaming Neon Black:

Mesa Boogie Triaxis Preamp
Mesa Boogie 2:90 Simul-Class Power Amp
Unknown 4X12 Cab with Celestion Vintage 30 Speakers

On all the albums with Neil Kernon, there were 4 tracks of rhythm recorded, and primarily a Shure SM-57 or Sennheiser 421 was used.

DEAD HEART IN A DEAD WORLD:

ESP & Custom Built 7 string guitars loaded with EMG 707 pickups. The guitars were routed into a Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer that was used as a signal boost. The settings on the TS-9 were:

Drive: 9 O'Clock
Tone: 10 O'Clock
Level: 12 O'Clock

This was fed into the amp that was used on all of the rhythm and leads. The amp used was a Mesa Boogie (2 Channel) Dual Rectifier that was straight from the box. The Mesa Recto was routed into a Marshall 1960B 4X12 Cab with the stock 75 Celestions they have. Settings on the Mesa Recto were:

Silicon Diode Setting
Bold Setting
Red (Modern) Channel

Treble: 11.30
Mids: 10 O'Clock
Bass: 11.30
Gain: 12:30
Presence: 12.30
Master: 10 O'Clock

There were 4 tracks of rhythm, with 2 tracks being panned 100% left and right, and the other set being panned 80% left and right. There was no compression, limiting, etc...only a slight touch of EQ used. Two Shure SM-57's were used for recording, one on the center of the cone about an inch away. This was the approximate's denoted by Andy Sneap previously.

ENEMIES OF REALITY:

7 String guitars loaded with EMG 707 pickups
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-9 (Se Similar to Above)
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier

That's the best compilation I've seen so far. If anyone wants to make corrections, feel free, but I think it's all pretty accurate. I'm assuming it's gonna be the Peavey Triple X on the new album when tracking starts in February. Guess we'll have to wait and see...:)