4x12 cabs: Peavey vs. Marshall vs. Mesa

I have owned so many cabs I cannot even begin to remember them all. My favorites and current choice are the steel grilled Mesa/Boogie halfback cabs, but I order the othe piece of wood from Mesa so they are fully sealed. These cabs with 2 EV and 2 Celestian each (2 celestian on top half of each cab, EV bottom of each cab) are brutal. I usually play Mesa amps through them but I have picked up a Vetta and a Flextone and they too sound great through these cabs.

On the downside, they are twice as heavy as Marshall cabs. I used to play in a band with another guitarist who used Marshalls and I used to fuck with him about using "sissy" cabs cause after carrying a Boogie cab the Marshalls are easy!!! But, he did get a good sound out of them. I just like Boogie better. I would play a broom if you put EMG's on it and ran it through a Boogie!!!!

commandante said:
So you are saying Celestion Vintage 30 speakers are the way to go, eh?

Absolutely...compared to my 5150 cab, the marshall I borrowed with celestions (i'm assuming vintage 30s) made all the difference. It's funny because I think someone who doesn't play guitar would have a difficult time to discern the difference between how the two sound, yet when recorded, and with drums and sh** the difference is crystal clear.

spaivxx said:
These cabs with 2 EV and 2 Celestian each (2 celestian on top half of each cab, EV bottom of each cab) are brutal.
Which EVs? I've heard the EV Black Shadow in a Mesa cabinet, and I totally loved the sound. Seemed more ...rounded than Celestions. A mix of the two seems interesting - might be pain to mic up accurately, though.

Just so ya know, I mic the EV most of the time. I am going to experiment with dual micing, there are techniques to avoid phase problems. The reason I havent done so lately is I am recording most everything direct with Line 6 gear. Never thought ANYTHING could pry me away from Boogie, but I now have a Vetta, Pod Pro XT and Flextone II XL, my Boogies are collecting dust, the ones I havent sold yet!!!!

Actually,in rehearsal I play the Vetta through my Boogie cabs, but I am seriously thinking of ditching them for Line 6 Vetta cabs.

I think most people use Celestions of one kind or another. 25's are cool, breakup nice. 30's have a great mid growl, 75's have a scooped mid, good lows and highs. 85, are like 75s but cleaner. 100's are bright.

If youre tuning down try Basson cabs with Eminence speakers. Less speaker distortion but those cabs go LOW! Great to mix with a cab with Celestions.

Colin