Marshall 9005 Power Amp question

Liam Thompson

Lord of the Strings
Jan 13, 2004
Sunderland, England
www.avenger-uk.com
I've just bought a second hand Marshall 9005 50/50 power amp. It is a dual mono block amp (two seperate 50 watt amps for channel A and B).

Razorjack mentioned that running it at full power (not using the half power switch) in stereo would be the way to get the best sound out of it.

I'm using a POD XT LIVE into the 9005 into my home made 2X12 cab.
The cab has 2, 75 watt Celestion GT12-75 (8ohm) speakers running at 4ohms together. My cab only has one input jack however as I made it to use with my one output Fender Bassman 100.

I assume that I should take one lead each out of the right and left output of the POD into each channel of the 9005 (POD LEFT into Channel A and POD RIGHT into Channel B). But to use both channel's outputs do I need a stereo 4X12 with two inputs or can I change my 2X12 to accept two inputs (one for each speaker and run the 9005 at 8 ohms on each channel?

Hope I didn't over complicate this lol
Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have one of these units, and I must say that they are the best bang-for-buck piece of gear I have ever tried.

I use an ADA preamp at the moment, but am building a Soldano X88r clone (which sounds great so far). The absolute best way to get the most out of this amp is to run it into two separate cabinets; I myself have a pair of 212s. To get a really great stereo sound, very light chorus or pitchshifting should be applied.

A great feature is that you can use different brands of tubes in either channel and really give it some different tones. I like the JJ 6CA7s in one and EL34Ls in the other.

Watch out for the heat this thing generates. DO NOT put anything directly on top of it, it does not ventilate properly and WILL fry your gear. Best situation is to install a computer fan and power it off of the heaters. The Marshall forums have a thread that explains this.