5150(6505)/5150 II(6505+) and Rectifier Comparison Thread

I like the 5150 Combo. It's a different animal than the head, but still in the same 'realm'. The circuit itself is something in between the 5150 and 5150 II. Still sounds like a 5150 though.

Being 50watts make a difference as well. Lowers the head room a bit so you can get the power tubes screaming a little earlier than with the 100 watter, if you are into that.

Otherwise, it's just as loud as the 100w brother, you won't notice a difference in a band situation hooked up to a 4x12 cab.

Just got the tax refund, checked craigslist, it was sold :(. There's a new 6505 combo on there right now, and it says that it hasn't been tested by the thread starter. Anyone tried them yet?

I had a 5150 combo a while ago. This thing can get pretty fucking loud and cuts through the mix really well. But I find that it has to much mid range and it gets annoying after a while. I much prefer the head with a good cabinet.

I think this "On a recent note, the component tolerances for Peavey amplifiers, as well as the production location (China), may effect how the 6505 amps sound compared to 5150 despite them being the exact same circuit." should be emphasized.

I want to buy some of the original pots and replace the new ones in my 6505. They respond VERY differently to my 5150.. I wonder what other components are different too...

I prefer my 5150. Some people say it may be component drift of the older amp, but I strongly believe the new pots have something major to do with it...

Man... just read this at the link the original post references: "They changed the power amp circuit board just before the end of the 5150 to share the same board as the 5150II. The circuit board material was changed during the signature production."

Crap. Time to get rid of my 6505 and get another early 5150...

Hmmm... maybe I'll open these suckers up and take a peek...

I think this "On a recent note, the component tolerances for Peavey amplifiers, as well as the production location (China), may effect how the 6505 amps sound compared to 5150 despite them being the exact same circuit." should be emphasized.

I want to buy some of the original pots and replace the new ones in my 6505. They respond VERY differently to my 5150.. I wonder what other components are different too...

I prefer my 5150. Some people say it may be component drift of the older amp, but I strongly believe the new pots have something major to do with it...

Man... just read this at the link the original post references: "They changed the power amp circuit board just before the end of the 5150 to share the same board as the 5150II. The circuit board material was changed during the signature production."

Crap. Time to get rid of my 6505 and get another early 5150...

Hmmm... maybe I'll open these suckers up and take a peek...

Andy prefers his new 6505.

On that note, I just bought a new 6505 that was supposed to be my live amp, and it sounds better than my EVH 5150 III. Now, some people say "better" is subjective, but overall, on the red/lead channels, both amps sound pretty damn similar, despite having different circuitry, and the 6505 has more balls and has better clarity. I doubt many would argue that those are both good qualities. You can always turn down the balls if you want less, yes, I did say turn down the balls :lol: All you need to do is lower the resonance a bit. I just actually retired the EVH to the live rig because of how much I love the 6505.

I don't give a flying fuck where an amp is made; I care about how it sounds, and if it's reliable.

So here's what I've been through so far:

Mesa Tremoverb
Peavey 5150I
Peavey 6505+

I keep changing my mind on what tones I like, lolz. I'm currently looking at a Triple Rectifier, how similar are the two channels to the three channels tone wise?

Don´t forget that the resistors and capacitators used in all amps i´ve seen so far have a tolerance of plus or minus 5% of their rated value!! There are places in an amp that those 5% can make a bit of difference!! Now an amp uses 40-50 components like those!!! That is why i believe that amp of the same model may sound different!! I´ve read somewhere that Rob Flynn owns a bunch of 5150´s ,but there´s one that stands out!!!

More and more I'm starting to think there must have been something very wrong with the 6505 I had and sold. Everyone talks about how tight and clear they are....but mine at high volumes/band levels was totally unfocused, flubby, extremely shrill, and even with my NS-2 set to the most extreme setting it just squealed when the volume was around noon. I missed the thump of my old Rectos and ditched it for a Tremoverb...but I'm getting the itch again. Is this normal or was mine seriously fucked?