5150(6505)/5150 II(6505+) and Rectifier Comparison Thread

A little OT, but I can't undestand why they designed the presence knob like this way. Holy shit, it does absolutely nothing from 0 to 7.5, it starts open the sound at 8 :D

ahahah....
"My issue is that I doubt it (5150 III) will outperform the 5150 II I have modded and there's no reason for me to dump 1-1.5k into an amp that will do me no more good than what I have. No one has it anymore to test it either."
Greg....who said this some months ago? :D The hilarious thing is that when I was reading this statement, I read "5150 III COMING SOON"...So I didn't resist :p

ahahah....
"My issue is that I doubt it (5150 III) will outperform the 5150 II I have modded and there's no reason for me to dump 1-1.5k into an amp that will do me no more good than what I have. No one has it anymore to test it either."
Greg....who said this some months ago? :D The hilarious thing is that when I was reading this statement, I read "5150 III COMING SOON"...So I didn't resist :p

If you actually want the real reasons behind why I bought it:

a. I'm a 5150 fanboi; I just bought a blockletter and a III, I feel like I needed all three, since I love the amps so much.

b. I got a bangin' deal on a halfstack.

c. I heard Gojira play 'em live.

Also, since some months ago, I have gotten much more obsessive over my amplifier collection :heh:

I will post comparisons between all three come a time very soon.

-Greg

A little OT, but I can't undestand why they designed the presence knob like this way. Holy shit, it does absolutely nothing from 0 to 7.5, it starts open the sound at 8 :D

It has to do with how high the volume is. Get the amp to volume four and the presence control works quite differently.

The 5150 sounds completely insane. Just got a full retube and it is truly off the hook. Great chunk in the mutes without being overly stiff.

It definitely has a different voice than my modded 5150II. The 5150II I have is closer to a Bogner Uberschall in the fact that it has a bigger midrange presence and is a bit thicker than my 5150. Both amps really shine, but they definitely have their differences, despite being modded to the same circuit. The upgraded trannys in the 5150II have added quite a bit of clarity, doubtless, but I'm sure I'll be keeping this 5150 stock.

Clips to follow when I get the 5150 III.

I'm thinking to mod my 6505+ lead to a 6505...but I'll wait some comparison from Greg.
I like my amp but if it worths the minimum effort, I'll do it.

Greg, did you put Sovtek's on your new 5150?

Yessir, I'm a fan of the Sovteks. I also only get platinum matched tubes; they are hand selected by the facility I go to. I figure if I'm going to be providing reamping as a service, my clients should get the best. They are all matched to a tenth of a millivolt of current draw. I've been using Sovtek 5881's since I first got my 5150II six years ago and have never had a tube go bad on me (not even preamp tubes) from where I'm getting my tubes.

I also had a conversation with Lasse (who is much more knowledgable than I am in this particular amp modding subject), and he says regardless if you mod the CIRCUIT of a 6505+ to a 6505, the tolerances on the PCB due to spacing, as well as the amount of components on the board, and the transformers will do plenty to prevent it from sounding "exactly" the same. Both sound great, and I definitely like the mod more than the stock 6505+.

Can anyone comment on the Recto Recording Preamp vs the preamp sections of the rectifier amps?

for ::XeS::

I've modded my 5150 II lead to the original and I think it's great.
I've compared with the original 5150 and the tone it's the same.
You have more gain (now, after the mod I set pre to 3,5, before at 7,5, more bass and punch with the advantage of the 2 separate channel).
The mod it's very simple you have to change only 2 cap and add 1 resitor :headbang:.

Hello,

I am not realy familiar with the metal genre, but this song is beautifull.
What song is this or wich bands play like this.

Greetings,

Kuno

Hey guys, I'm wondering how big the difference between the combo and head of the 5150 are? It says more "open", what does that mean? There's a guy selling a 5150 combo for 400$, and I'm thinking of just cutting it into a head.