5150(6505)/5150 II(6505+) and Rectifier Comparison Thread

Nothing in my post is official. If a company doesn't like how you "describe" their product, they won't admit it anyway.

The Roadster IS darker than a Rectifier. Anyone who owns one will tell you the same.

Nothing in my post is official.

Well, yes and no.

Like with the 5150/6505 debates, there have been many people checking out (by comparing the circuits and components) if there are differences and apparently they found none (except the stock tubes on the block letter etc. pp.).

I don't doubt that the Roadster may very well be darker voiced, I just wanted to know if there's anything concrete to manifest that upon. Same goes for 2-channel/3-channel and Dual/Triple differences.

Umm... that reads like a "fact", like it really has been done on purpose.

But are we sure of that? I mean, we all heard the comparison clips Marcus did, but there are so many factors playing a role in this.

Based on those clips I wouldn't dare to go further than saying "in these clips, this Roadster sounds darker and tighter than that 2-channel Dual Rec. in this exact context (settings, mic placement etc.)."

So all the bla blah aside, I just wanna know if that's something "official" straight from Mesa? :loco:

I think Greg was referring to the fact that I called Mesa some time ago and had in confirmed from a rep, and have posted about that multiple times in the past :)

I spoke to one of the head techs at Mesa and he said they have done extensive testing and that the 3 channels outperform/equal the two channels feature wise and tonally, in their opinion. I asked him about the two vs. three channel thing and he said if the two channel ones had something that was "better," they would have included it in the three channel ones. They're just slightly different; it's nothing astronomical.

And another thing: Would anyone say that the Road KING is more like the 3-channel Dual? Compared to the Roadster voicing? That would be interesting because Mesa says the Roadster is "Road King minus extraneous shit".

Also, I always figured the Road King had similar distortion channels to the Roadster (darker/tighter), since the Roadster is basically a Road King Lite, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean Mesa wanted to copy it exactly!

My thoughts on it

Didn't see that either - I guess 3 hours sleep last night wasn't sufficient. Oh well, I'm off to bed...

Good thread Greg, should indeed be sticky'd. Not that any newb would ever read them, but alas...

I just ordered a 6505+1x12 and i'm wondering how different this is going to end up being.

Where did you see information that there's multiple parts varying from the other amps in the series?

As long as it sounds good at a lower volume spectrum than the heads i'm ok with it being a lil different.

60 watts isn't that much quieter at all than 120.

I had my 5150II modded to 5150 I specs. There were something like 11 or 13 components different.

I had a Solo rectifier sometime around -99 and I thought it sounded great:confused: I have tried duals and triples from time to time and never liked them. The solo I had sounded much tighter and not at all buzzy from what I can remember. Does anyone know if they changed the circuit of the solos somewhere between 95 and nowadays?

I thought that the 6505+ and 5150II were also different in the fact that the + and the II also had more Pre-amp tubes (6 instead of 5) and also an extra channel (as opposed to all channels sharing the same EQ settings). As far as I can tell, the extra tube adds to the character of the amp, but I'm not sure.

Also, In my experience, the 6505+ and 5150II has less gain which in my opinion had less balls, but thats just my .02.

Hey,
do you think the 2010 Recto it's worth the trouble of getting it?

You all now the prices of Mesa stuff outside the US, and I would save MUCH money if I buy an used one...

But for an effective advancement.
Hmmh.

What do you think?

Thanks

Does anyone know what Ohm the speaker inside the 6505+1x12 is? I'd like to swap it out the day it gets here and replace it with a V30.

I thought that the 6505+ and 5150II were also different in the fact that the + and the II also had more Pre-amp tubes (6 instead of 5) and also an extra channel (as opposed to all channels sharing the same EQ settings). As far as I can tell, the extra tube adds to the character of the amp, but I'm not sure.

Also, In my experience, the 6505+ and 5150II has less gain which in my opinion had less balls, but thats just my .02.

Yes, it has one more tube for the rhythm channel and less gain on the rhythm channel.

Hey,
do you think the 2010 Recto it's worth the trouble of getting it?

You all now the prices of Mesa stuff outside the US, and I would save MUCH money if I buy an used one...

But for an effective advancement.
Hmmh.

What do you think?

Thanks

Mine kicks ass. I dunno if that is enough to convince you to buy one, though :lol:

I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon either :loco:

Mine kicks ass. I dunno if that is enough to convince you to buy one, though :lol:

I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon either :loco:

Hmm, if i could get one directly from the US it would be no question;)
Same price as a used one for a new amp:cry:

The new Rectos seem to be rare in the EU atm, didnt saw one...

Thanks for your reply.

Edit:
Just for info:
The distributioner ship the 2010 Models at the end of this month (in any counts in Germany, maybe full EU?!)!

Edit 2 ;):
I'm pretty stoked, I've made an ok deal for an Dual Recto Blackface, the colour dosn't matter(for me), but thats my first Recto.
So damn curious^^

Can't afford a new Recto, so I'll take this one.

Copied and pasted from another thread, I just wanted to air a slight pet peeve about when people responding to a shootout say "oh, well there are differences, but with different settings one could totally sound like the other" - surely we all realize how complex distorted guitar tones are (in terms of all the harmonics from, you know, distortion), and also the fact that the tone stack controls on any given amp (except one with a Graphic EQ) are extremely imprecise (in terms of large Q values) and thus by no means cut out for any sort of surgical eq'ing. This is fine with me, I wouldn't have it any other way, I prefer them to be able to just shape the natural sound of the amp - however, that's where their ability ends IMO, so if the natural sound of said amp ain't your thing, then on to another IMO!