Need an amp to compliment a 6505

Jackal_Strain

Sigurd Løberg
Feb 16, 2006
Trondheim, Norway
I know that the combination 6505(5150)/dual rectifier has been mentioned here a zillion time as made for each other, I simply can't afford a Rectifier. Mesa stuff is way overpriced here in europe and I don't want to import one from the states due to the difference in the power net.
I need to find an amp that can somewhat compliment a 6505 like the mesa does, but wont cost me an arm and a leg.
It would also be a great benefit if it had a decent clean channel as well;)

So far I've been thinking of Engl or Framus amps. I've never tried a framus myself, but I've heard great stuff from them.
What do you guys think I should go for?

this definately doesnt come from my mouth but...

i HEARD that a b-52 sounds just like a dual rect, and is a lot cheaper (it has triple rect structure as far as tubes and amp staging goes?)

The reason why a 5150/Recto sound good together is that the 5150 is a hi-mid voiced amp and the Recto is a low-mid voiced amp. So the 5150 has the highs the Recto dosen't and the Recto has the lows the 5150 dosen't. So I think that if you got any low-mid voiced amp that it would compliment your 6505 very well. I have no idea about prices in Europe or anything like that so hopefully this helps you in your search.

theblackmoon said:
Am I the only one that likes Marshalls in here?

Yes. haha I just can never get them to sound good. I have a TSL and I have yet to get anything close to my 6505 or Recto. What kind of settings are you using?

Hex I do not own one, but I use on most of my bands gigs. And I recorded a lot with JCM stuff. They were always straight forward to me, always simple, but one trick beast for sure.
Try to get the oposite tone of a Peavey with it, maybe together they´ll work, I can´t wait to get my hands on a Marshall to blend with my 5150 that way.
And I like that "Storm Of The Light´s Bane" kind of tone you know?
Maybe I´m getting old...

I love my Marshall!
2550 silver jubilee that isnt silver

thats what I used on the pantera song everybody was messing with a month ago or so.

The triple xxx is extremely similar to a recto FWIW

Other than my PowerBall, I don't think I've encounted any other amp with the lows that my Dual Recto has. I have to say for the 1,000,000th time that 5150+Recto combination is just killer and it's like they were made for each other.

~e.a

everybody's x said:
I love my Marshall!
2550 silver jubilee that isnt silver

thats what I used on the pantera song everybody was messing with a month ago or so.

The triple xxx is extremely similar to a recto FWIW

Years ago Pat O´Brian (spelled right?) used a Jubilee, that was actually silver on a Cannibal gig here in São Paulo , since then Jubilees are kinda legendary here.

I tried the XXX a while ago, I don´t know if I was unlucky with it but I hate it completely.
Unfortunally Diezel, Engl and all the boutique heads never reach this wasteland... Even Mesa is sooo hard to find in here.

How does the Jubilee sounds?

I know you'll all boo and hiss and shoot me down, but see if you can try a Laney Tube Fusion. I've got one, and it's one of the lowest voiced amps I've played through - I never put the bass past 12 o'clock. It's nothing special on its own, but it's great for adding some balls to another amp.

Steve

joeymusicguy said:
this definately doesnt come from my mouth but...

i HEARD that a b-52 sounds just like a dual rect, and is a lot cheaper (it has triple rect structure as far as tubes and amp staging goes?)

Sounds nothing like a Mesa, for what they charge, that amp sucks ass dude.