Would you change a Triaxis for a 6505+?

After that you are going to change to amp x, after that to amp y... ....endless story, did not work for anybody else, won't work for you. Grass is always greener..

I'm very happy with my Triaxis, but after watching so many clips and videos on Youtube of 5150's and 6505's I'm thinking about selling my Triaxis or changing it for a Peavey Amp.

I have both :loco:

I know that is of NO help to you

Don't you have any friends that have a 5150 that you could borrow to try out or something? Thats a tough call, I love both amps but they are 2 different animals. I guess best thing I could say is a 5150 is a lot less versatile than the triaxis ... so how much variety in tone do you need?

so how much variety in tone do you need?

Need classic Metal tone for 2 of my bands (D Std) and more aggressive and modern for another band (C Drop)...
Triaxis is very good for the classic sound, but I miss some low mids for a more modern sound.

Fuck, I need to have one in my hands for some days. Will ask some friend.

Having both would be a great idea, but I'm moving to another house and need to save money.... or my wife would kill me...:erk:

Hmmmm ... I guess you aren't using the simul 2:90 power amp with it then ... it has the 3 different voicing switches which helps focus the low mids for more aggressive tones

yeah I would say best thing to do would be to try and borrow one for a week and experiment ... I'd be pretty hard pressed to get rid of my triaxis ... you might regret it after a bit ;)

I currently have a 5150 and had a TriAxis in the earlier part of the 2000's. I have to say they are def 2 very different anmals. I love my 5150! Its like no other amp on the planet as far as the sound goes.

But on the other hand I miss the shimmering cleans and overdriven crunch of my TriAxis.

I say try the 5150, its not for everyone, but if you need that 1 trick GO TO CAUSE YOU KNOW ITS GOOD pony. Then it may just be what you are looking for.

I would reduce it to one question:
Do you need in any of these bands a DECENT clean channel?

If so I would stick with the Triaxis and save up for the 5150(studio and modern metal band)...

The Triaxis is a cool and flexible preamp, especially paired with a great power amp like the 2:90. However, especially the Rectifier modes (just like with the Rectifier Recording Preamp) are just not quite as convincing as the real deal.

So, whatever you do, just don't trade it straight for a used 6505 as you'd be losing money then (provided that your Triaxis is in equally good shape). If you sell it, you might end up with enough cash to get two good used heads. Used 6505 and 800 for example.

With the 2:90 the triaxis is monolithic. I have a mark iv, very similar for the most part and IMO while it doesn't have huge lows etc like recto, 5150 etc. It absolutely eats either for clarity, focus and the clean/ lead tones.. Bah... Brb jizz imminent haha!

3 months ago I bought the Simul 2:90... Much better than teh peavey 50:50 of course. Now I'm very happy with it for live rig.

But days ago I tried to record some tracks in studio with it and OS Mesa / Engl 4x12 / Marshall AV1960 cabintes, and couldn't get a decent sound.
No matter which cabinet I used, the sound was thin and lifeless. I used 2 SM57.

Ok, guys, here I am again ... doubtful

Definitely I'm gonna sell, my triaxis.
The 2 candidates are:

6505+:
Pros: Cheap
Cons: I have already a flightcase and a 2:90 Mesa poweramp that I won't use :confused:and this amp cannot be mounted in the rack! Can't be controlled with my PodXT+Floorboard

Engl570 preamp
Pros: Can be used with my Mesa 2:90 poweramp and mounted into rack. I can use my PodXt + floorboard to control it via MIDI.
Cons: more expensive than 6505. I can't try one cause no store has it on stock.

I like racks because I play live and it is easy to carry but 6505 are so cheap and so reliable that I don't know what to do.

I've gotta say, I do love james hetfields live tone and that's triaxis. I guess it's all down to taste

I also love James' tone, but I think it is a bit myth about this. He manily used MkIIC and MkIV. Triaxis was only Load and Reload I think, and combined with other amps I guess.

Triaxis is great for soloing but not for rythm guitars.