Triaxis + 50:50 / 2:90

Dudes, I just ran the Record Out tone thru KeFIR with some guitarhack Impulses. I used a HP Filter before the KeFIR cause they're way too bassy. It does sound a little compressed but it sounds better that before. I used a different Impulse on each side and a the HP Filter is set to 200hz.

Here's a link to the new file...
http://www.metallyguitarded.com/TriaxisRecOutsImpulsed.wav

A band I am mixing uses Triaxis + 2:50 and it sounded like beehive(=shit) with his setup, but I sent him some Metallica setups (got the link from here somewhere, montyjay.com or something like that) and the tone got a LOT better with just a minor tweaking. So I guess it really is more about what setup you use on the dials.

the triaxis + 2:90 setup was basically created to simulate the entire mark family of mesa amps. I - IV.

i've played with it a lot and i've gotten it to sound pretty darn close the lead channel on my mark iv. they have a phat mod which gives it a tighter low end supposedly and makes it sound more "rectoish" but i've heard from a few people that it does more bad than good. either way it's a great setup. i knew someone who had a triaxis and a 20:20 mesa power amp and told me he never dug it completely until he got the 2:90. they were really created to be paired but i guess you can get nice tones with any decent power amp. i'll tell you one thing the triaxis clean tones kill the mark series.

btw the best example i can think of at the moment of this combo in action in metal is my friends band

http://www.myspace.com/hulkbloodmusic

this was recorded a few years ago in a so-so studio so it isn't exactly up for a grammy for engineering but it gets the point of the triaxis across in a metal application. listen to "goonies never say die" i guess it's the best recording on there.

The best example of a Triaxis tone I've heard is Evergrey's "In Search of Truth" - at least I think it's a Triaxis, cuz I know that's what they both use now and have for awhile.

Okey thanks for the feedback guys. And I am 100% agreed on Evergrey's search for the truth AND recreation day. Those albums sound really heavy. But they used a peavey 50:50 instead of mesas 2:90 so thats actually why I posted here ;)

I am also looking into an ENGL e570 + something combo right now, the preamp is from ENGL SE head, so it also should be heavy as fuck. Costs 1000 euros less too. God damn I wish I could get off this rock for a week or two soon to try them out.

Okey thanks for the feedback guys. And I am 100% agreed on Evergrey's search for the truth AND recreation day. Those albums sound really heavy. But they used a peavey 50:50 instead of mesas 2:90 so thats actually why I posted here ;)

I am also looking into an ENGL e570 + something combo right now, the preamp is from ENGL SE head, so it also should be heavy as fuck. Costs 1000 euros less too. God damn I wish I could get off this rock for a week or two soon to try them out.

Which rock would that be??

I would advise getting both MESA Products.:heh::heh:

What speakers are you going to be running your setup through??

didnt understand your first question, but I am thinking of running it through a vader 2x12. Im not in a band at the moment so I will forego vader 4x12 cab

didnt understand your first question, but I am thinking of running it through a vader 2x12. Im not in a band at the moment so I will forego vader 4x12 cab

You said " wish I could get off this rock for a week or two soon to try them out" so I assumed you live on an Island.

What type of speakers will you be using in your CAB, I ask because the 90/90 will drive them very hard.

I have used a 90/90 through a 150watt celestion speaker and it really drove it hard.

Oh I live on an island called Iceland, not voluntarily though ;) And Im not considering a 90:90 anymore. I always was sceptical about mesa's 2:90, that's why I posted this question here about a 50:50 vs 90:90. Since I am thinking about getting an ENGL preamp it wouldnt be much sense to get 90:90, im not in a band at the moment so I think Ill go with a used peavey 50:50. When I finish my scholarship and will get into a band Ill probably get an engl poweramp.

That ENGL E570 is supposed to be fucking intense, I've never tried one but my buddy Mike from Severed Savior is a complete tone guru and that's what he's been using for a few years now... That, a Fractal Audio Axe-FX, ENGL E850 poweramp, Evidence Audio cables, etc. etc. haha... Dude's tone is SICK.