5150 or 6505?

I was talking to a friend of mine about selling my amp - mesa trip rec.

I asked him if there was a difference between the 5150 and the 6505 and he said there wasn't any difference at all? not even in the schematic or anything.

Is he b/s-ing?

:guh:

I dont know the schematics but the old block letter version of the 5150 has different tone. My friend used both.

BTW Robb Flynn's favorite Peavey 5150( he said that Bubba has the best sound) is an old block letter version, and the amp's name is Bubba.

I think there are differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
No they arent...

I've got a block letter, and other than being cantankerous and old and having different valves; it really sounds no different to a signature; sure you have to dial the pots slightly differently for EXACTLY the same sound, but thats more aging components and valve difference...
also; check out Peaveys own Elmuchos talking about this urban legend nonsense that online forums has perpetrated

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/383999-early-5150-transformer.html#post7144784

Yeah, it's a pretty well-known fact that the only differences with the block-letter 5150's were the stock tubes they shipped with