Need help choosing 2 amps

gixxsta04

Nov 27, 2010
A friend and I have been recording together and we are trying to piece together the perfect combination of amps. We currently have a 5150 Block Letter Head, 5150 Signature Head, Marshall 1960 Lead 75W Cab, Marshall 1960 V30 cab, and a Mesa OS Recto Cab. We are also thinking about getting rid of one of the 5150's for a Krankenstein or possibly a Dual Rectumfire. We are looking for maximum versatility in the studio as well as a super thick yet crunchy stereo live sound. If you could only have 2 amps and 2 cabs, which ones would you keep/buy.

I'd keep the Mesa and Marshall 75w cab. Get rid of whichever Peavey sounds worse and get something with EL34's for your second amp (Jet City, Marshall JVM, Bogner Uberschall)

We've decided to keep the 5150 Block Letter, Mesa OS, and 1960 cab with t-75's. Framus Cobra will be arriving shortly.

You can have of the 5150's for $600 USD plus shipping. The block letter sounds exactly the same as the sig. There is nothing special about it other than the hot pink knobs I have installed on it.

We've decided to keep the 5150 Block Letter, Mesa OS, and 1960 cab with t-75's. Framus Cobra will be arriving shortly.

Scratch that. Cobras usually go for $1100 on eBay yet my bid of $1350 did not win the auction. Ended up buying a Krankenstein used from Guitar Center. When I got it home I decided it sounded very hollow and found out the fx loop was broken. Returned it and bought a Mesa-Booger Stool Rectumfryer. Very happy with it.

Guitar rigs now consist of:

5150 Block Letter
Mesa Recto OS 4x12 Cab w/V30's
OD808
Decimator G-String

Dual Rec(Might put EL34's in it)
Marshall 1960A 4x12 w/t75's
TS-9
Decimator G-String

So many ppl have told me to put EL34's in the Dual Rec if I'm gonna blend it with the 5150. Can anyone explain why in detail? Does it just change up the sound of the amp enough to set it completely apart from the 5150 or what?