Help me choosing an amp

Jevil

Pro Evolution Fucker
Apr 18, 2006
Basque Country
www.soulitude-web.com
I'm tired of racks (i've been playing with Triaxis and Mesa 2:90).
I'm gonna sell everything and buy a head.

I want it for thrash/power metal but also classic tones with a modern sound... is that possible? hahaha. I always prefered smooth tight amps not gritty screaming machines. I like tight and creamy chugachugas.

I need it for live and studio., and my cab is a Marshall AV1960 w/ V30

My budget is no more than 2.000 €.

My options are these but other options are welcome.

Engl Invader
Engl Savage 120
Engl SE
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
EVH III 5150

I'm the most doubful man of the Solar System and beyond.

Marshall JVM410H?

With a little bit of modding its 5 amps in one (well, almost) ;)

It will do the old school crunch, and the modern stuff, and also has a very nice clean channel.

Give it a try. Only downside is the general feel is it is a little fragile (jacks and knobs kinda suck), but mine has had no problems after a year of both use and abuse. Its also designed by a countryman of yours hehe.

Very versatile, has all the options you could ask for from a modern amp (dual master volumes, MIDI, parallel/serial FX loop, programmable footswitch), except the biasing is still old school as fuck. And it comes biased pretty fucking cold from the factory so it is VERY bright, which can be relatively easily rectified.

definitely the Earforce Two!
if not that I'd say 5150III

but you should really try the EF Two!

"tight and creamy" "old school vibe with a modern sound (if desired" is what describes the EF Two perfectly

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sqInRzvbeI&feature=related[/ame]

(check around the 5 minute mark for the TS clips)

I'm going to go out on a limb (and sound like a broken record) and say that the VHT/Fryette Pitbull Ultra-Lead would be perfect for what you're after - IMO it's the tightest/most defined metal amp out there. Not fizzy at all, and palm muting is a thing of beauty. Used, they are within your budget.

I remain completely amazed at how much this amp is overlooked. One caveat though - you've got to be able to play, because the Pitbull UL won't hide any mistakes. Unfortunately there aren't many demos/videos out there that do it justice, but if you get a chance to play through one you've got to do it.

From your list, I'd probably lean towards the 5150III or maybe the Savage 120 (it's been awhile since I played through the Savage 120, but I remember liking it).

If you're used to the versatility of a rack you might really enjoy the Invader. It's channels are totally different from each other and all sound really good IMO, plus the MIDI and loops etc. are good to build a rig around. Tonally on your list my favorite would be the 5150III and i've owned all of those, the pick clarity is insane on that amp. You might also check out a used Diezel VH4 if you can.

Thanks guys, I'm sure all the amps you suggest are awesome but I prefer to be in the safe side, that means regular brands.

Lasse I'd love to try that Earforce but here in Spain it is impossible to try one. If it was my 5th amp or so I would get one. It sounds huge!

VHT's are also hard to find in stores. I will have to check clips.

It seems that EVH5150III is the winner, must check it soon, but I haven't found any store in my city with one of them in stock.

From your list, I'd suggest a 5150III, also.

I played one a couple weeks ago thru a G12-T75 Marshall cab and it sounded pretty awesome. I never had thought about pairing those two together...

After hours of googling in different sites and forums, the winner is the INVADER, but here seems to be the EVHIII. Not very fans of Engls here or what?

I listened to great tones form Invader or SE, Accept and Blind Guardian for example. Clips of the EVH are too rockish I think.

I'll keep researching.

ENGLs are definitely great amps, no doubt about it; the majority of us here are studio thinkers, so it's hard to go past the EVH.

That said, the Invader is a BEAST. Definitely capable of a huge range of quality sounds. Obviously, try and compare the Invader side-by-side with the EVH.

Obviously, try and compare the Invader side-by-side with the EVH.

That's difficult in Bilbao. Music stores don't allow you to try those huge amps, and if they do it is at 0.5/10 master vol. That is how I tried the Invader.

Only one of the stores have a small room to turn them up, but sadly they haven't got any Invader nor EVHIII at the moment.

you do know that the new Accept is 5150III, right?
also check the new Nevermore etc...

Well i was thinking in live tone. I saw them twice last year and Wolf tone's was the best tone live ever.
He used Engl Invader.
Didn't know about Obsidian being a 5150III!!

This might help you in hearing the different characteristics between amps both clean and overdriven. Just be careful, some of the amps have been tested with a different cab and a slightly different mic position with of course will sound different to the other amps.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2010/Dec/The_Monsters_of_High_Gain.aspx

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!