2003 !T.O.O.H.! Review online

Occam's Razor said:
To me, it is not "fun to listen to", but a nuisance. Typically Eastern Europe: solid to above-par craftsmanship that lacks sense.

I bought this particular album and didn't really get too excited about it. I was all psyched for the Ephel Duath but not the TOOH coming out.

Still, even unappealing bands (I wouldn't ever call them shit or anything) should be dealt with honestly.

Occam's Razor said:
But it is honest to just say what I said. good musicians that cannot write music...

Are you the same guy who wrote that terrible self-congratulatory Biomechanical review? If so then I guess it's clear we're very much on opposite wavelengths when it comes to musical taste.

All part of the joy of music, I guess :)

Lee_B said:
Are you the same guy who wrote that terrible self-congratulatory Biomechanical review? If so then I guess it's clear we're very much on opposite wavelengths when it comes to musical taste.

All part of the joy of music, I guess :)

I am, and I want to say that i have missed the proper tone in that review. It is harsher than I intended it to be - blame it on English as my second language. I actually like the record quite a bit now. I am sorry to say your label has not released much that was of a similar quality last year. Ephel Duath was good, though, even if not as good as "Painter's...". Ackercocke showed potential as well...was Frantic Bleep in 2005 as well? - That rules as well and has even grown with time.

Obviously, this review has annoyed a lot of people - no bad feelings from my side.

I think it's impossible to shrug off bad reviews if you're so close to the subject. Impossible for me, anyway. Just one of those things. In a convoluted way these are the bands I've chosen to represent my personal taste. Music is my single genuine passion in life. Bad reviews are tantamount to saying "you have shitty taste in music", although my brain sometimes translates this one stage further to "Your Mother has herpes and pisses standing up" :)

Still, rather a well thought out bad review from someone who has obviously listened to the CD than a good two line review, or one that quotes from the press sheet almost in it's entirety.

The only times I don't get annoyed are when the reviews are obviously written by someone who has no clue, like some 16-year old death metal dweeb trying to get his head around an Ephel Duath album. They're just funny... :).

I'm a lot calmer about things now, anyway, hehe. :)

Akercocke weren't one of mine BTW. All i released last year were the Carnival in Coal, Ephel Duath and Frantic Bleep records (and a Wolverine re-issue).

I agree that my review was a bit personally insulting,
The passion you have is a good sign; it is not like you throw ten bands against the wall and hope one will stick - you actually LIKE what you expose to the public...makes sense but is not the norm...if I look at Metal Blade Europe, they do hardly anything else than metalcore at the moment with the hope that some of it sells - and it seems it does. If not, there is still Six Feet Under and a Finnish cover band of them with the same singer...:tickled:

I think these guys are brilliant writers. They very much operate outside the box of conventional songcraft, much like Atheist and latterday Gorguts did. They don't adhere to any sort of formula, but their riffs all carry a sense of purpose, which gives their songs a very unpredictable nature, which is one of the main tenets of good songwriting.

[yes, that's my review up there]

Zealotry said:
I think these guys are brilliant writers. They very much operate outside the box of conventional songcraft, much like Atheist and latterday Gorguts did. They don't adhere to any sort of formula, but their riffs all carry a sense of purpose, which gives their songs a very unpredictable nature, which is one of the main tenets of good songwriting.

[yes, that's my review up there]

Once the new website is up and running, you should throw a new review our way every now and again. We're up to 2000 unique visitors a month now. (*ooooohhhh* *aaaahhhhh*)

Zealotry said:
I think these guys are brilliant writers. They very much operate outside the box of conventional songcraft, much like Atheist and latterday Gorguts did.

Well, Atheist wrote songs, but this at best has fragments of songs within things that are supposed to be songs.

Occam's Razor said:
Well, Atheist wrote songs, but this at best has fragments of songs within things that are supposed to be songs.
I 100% disagree.

A song is usually music performed in a certain time frame that makes sense somehow for the listener, for me, this band does not sound meaningful in their pieces, but that does not mean that they make others cry for pleasure.