Review of Scald's Vermiculatus now online!

Decent review, but I have to take exception to one statement...

The album length song has NEVER been ambitious, at least not in the context of metal. It's what happens when bands can't come up with anything coherent, so they string together unrelated and unconnected crap for 45 minutes, call it avant-garde and accuse anyone who points out that the emperor has no clothes of just 'not getting it.'

http://www.lotfp.com/content.php?reviewid=43

Bastard, I want your opinions on this review.
OK

"I was reading, as I occasionally do, Deena Weinstein's Heavy Metal: The Music and Its Culture, and was admiring how, as I always do, she manages to completely squeeze every bit of vitality and excitement out of heavy metal in an effort to legitimize it"

Interesting, because that could be said of your writings (and Dave's) too. Too much nitpicking and figuring out where to put your artificial borders, too little noticeable enjoyment of the music itself.

As for the review itself, at least it made me curious. I will definitely go check this out. Mission accomplished.

"The scene needs more music and less product. If only more bands could be this ambitious"

Agreed (although I think that goes for music in general), so I don't understand how you can dis an ambitious band like The Gathering just because they had the guts to develop their sound and break out of the Heavy Metal straitjacket.

TANGENT: The Gatherting ARE Ambitious, and good, BUT they're completely inconsistant. Mandylion and Planet and Souvenirs are quite essential. NtB, i.t.e and Home are not.

Heck, even the b-sides/rarities contract dissolver Accesories cd has better stuff than Home does.