2006 is approaching and still no new album?

Pascal79

Jun 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but 2006 is on it's way and that would mean 7 years since The Gathering's release. That is simply unacceptable and I think Testament fans deserve better. We are starving for some new Testament material and how hard can it be to record 50 minutes of thrash metal with a very talented line-up that you already have. Whether it be the original line-up or the line-up with Metal Mike, Steve on bass, and Johnny Tempesta on drums. Please just get it done already. I think Eric Peterson really needs to let the DragonLord idea sit for a while and work on the new Testament album. I read that Testament got a new studio a while ago that was apparently haunted. Are the ghosts scaring Chuck and Eric from entering it to record? Come on guys listen to your fans that have been loyal to you guys for years. I want to see Testament release an album soon and hopefully get added to next year's gigantour!

Testament 4 Life!

...have patience.

There's no point in Testament rushing out new material if they're not ready. Things will work out crimson eventually. I'm sure Jun-Jun has some killer Testatunes kicking around and that he'll piece them together when he's good and ready with whatever version of the band still works.

I know it may seem like a piece of piss for them to record another masterpiece, but in reality - things are very much different now. There's still no confirmation of an Official Line-Up, and behind the scenes they're probably all knocking heads to see if there would be a 200% commitment to a re-union, if they should continue with other musicians who can commit 200%, or to hopefully not just call it a day...

They're in the unenviable position of being at the pinnacle of their career - with all eyes watching their every move. This pressure can't help when it comes to music & song writing, I know it must seem like Eric doesn't give a shit about Testament with him doing Dragonlord, but this couldn't be further from the truth. I can bet he was probably composing some new Testament riffs which he ended up deciding were too heavy for a lot of the more 'traditionally minded' fans to cope with and decided to throw them into Dragonlord where they belong more. Sometimes musicians can't help what they feel when it comes to composing music and if Eric didn't 'feel the Testament vibe' with the riffs then there's a huge chance they wouldn't be accepted by the majority of Testament Legions (In Hiding) out there. I for one, appreciate the honesty...

Trust me... I feel the impatience just as much as anyone in waiting for a new album, but if I have to wait another 20 years I don't give a shit, as far as I'm concerned when the band do record again - it WILL dominate & it'll be WELL worth the wait!!!

I wouldn't care, but it seems like every year they're saying there will be a new album out and nothing. This is starting to get worse than Chinese Democracy, same thing, every year it's supposedly coming out and then another year passes and nothing. Before ya know it, it's ten years and theres not an album. I was looking at old Blabbermouth articles and Metal Mike said this in July 2004:

"TESTAMENT is readying a new album for you all, so keep believing and we will see you all very, very soon.

Yeah, time seems to pass pretty fast, but, like I've said in just about every other of the 200 "when will it be out?" topics that had appeared here, it's their band, their music and they'll release the album when they're ready and decide they have the product that will please their fans. I just don't know why they've become so picky, self-demanding and uncertain of their writing abilities. Besides, this band is a hobby for them (at least that's what they've been stating in the recent interviews), they've other lives outside TestAmenT and that's why they don't have to put it out when they're expected to (remember Souls Of Black or PWYP?), but once they're ready.
That doesn't mean I'm not DYING to hear the new record. I also think Dragonlord has become too absorbing for Eric. On the other hand, though, this might be because there's not much to do with TestAmenT and he's waiting to find out with whom he'll be recording the new album.
I don't want to repeat my elaborate posts on this subject that I've made in a couple of last threads of this kind, so that's where I'll stop.

High Priest Of Evil said:
Besides, this band is a hobby for them (at least that's what they've been stating in the recent interviews)

WHAT??? A hobby?!? :confused: If that's the way they really feel about the band then they should just call it a day. A hobby is something that you do in your spare time, like stamp collecting or something. Being in a metal band that has put out albums the caliber of Practice What You Preach and The Gathering is NOT a hobby.
The band owes us this much at least: a straight answer. Are they or are they NOT planning to release a new album. If it takes them years to do it, then so be it, but let those years be because they're planning a metal masterpiece by musicians that are 100% commited to their music and their fans, not by a bunch of guys for whom this is a "hobby".

I don't know why it surprises you so much, desert demon. That's what Eric and especially Chuck have been saying for quite some time. This is not their work- it's a hobby- otherwise they wouldn't have been able to carry on for so many years, especially the hard years. They seem to have a lot of distance towards what they're doing these days and that seems like a healthy attitude to me. I thought we all noticed they actually have been "doing Testament" in the spare time for quite a few years now (noticed the frequency of releases isn't quite what it used to be?) - they go on tour when they feel like going abroad, playing a couple of gigs, meeting some friends and having fun- not whenever they have a chance to. Surely, I'd also be glad if they were a band that releases an album every year and tours their asses off, but they had already been like that and have achieved a certain status, became an icon and don't really feel the need to be concerned about the development of their career like 24/7, I guess. They've lives outside the band that are too important to sacrifice, I imagine.

As for their "straight answer" - they owe us shit, for they've stated this so many times. I'm sure they're planning a new record and that it will eventually come out. If that wasn't the case there would be no use in them talking about it so much. They're just taking their time- for various reasons- also because the don't feel the pressure to hurry (add band member changes, health issues, the reunion, etc.).

If Chuck and Eric & co honestly felt that they owed us as fans, especially the ones that have been around for nearly 20 years supporting them, "shit" as you say, then fuck 'em... the metal world will go on without them (and has).

But don't bullshit us... I've seen talk of "a new album coming soon" far too much. And I've also seen news of tour dates come and go. Just the fact that they are still touring, especially with the original lineup, I am very grateful for. Any opportunity to see one of my favorite bands of all time play is something that I consider to be something great. But don't talk and talk about a new album and then never do it. Either shut up and forget about it, or make DEFINITE plans to record a new album, then talk about THAT. Why bother talking about it if they don't owe us a "straight answer"? Like pissing off your fans? Cause that's all I see it as at this point.

I wouldn't be at ALL surprised if this is the last hurrah for the once-mighty Testament. I don't think there will be a new album AT ALL. And after this tour, they are going to come to a decision to hang it up and call it a day. It's definitely within the realm of possibilities. A lot of things would have to come together in order for Testament to ever record another album again, and at this point, that just doesn't seem very likely at all.

WIll Testament ever make another album again? That's debatable. Do they owe us another album? Simple answer: no. Do they owe us a straight answer about it? Not exactly... especially since they, collectively, might not have all the answers, themselves, as to whether or not a new album is even going to be possible again. What they DO owe us is the information and facts, as they have it - not hyperbole, speculation, hopes and dreams, and possibilities of what may or may never be.

What they DO owe us is the information and facts, as they have it - not hyperbole, speculation, hopes and dreams, and possibilities of what may or may never be
Perhaps the reason why we keep getting hyperbole, speculations etc. is that we demand news and declarations, while they are not certain themselves and only keep promising just to give an answer and not to ignore us.
Bear in mind that Chuck and Eric both say there "are talks about doing the new record in the original line up some time in 2006", Alex has been saying that too. That's their statement- nothing for sure, because they're not sure themselves. There definitely is the will to record an album in Testament, but they don't lie to us- it's still a remote vision and a big organizational effort for them all. As simple as that. That is a straight and fair answer to me. Chuck lately said he can wait another ten years to enter the studio just to be sure their fans get the product of the highest quality. Is that a wrong attitude? Is that fucking with the fans? Certainly no. What facts do we need to know? We know what other commitents all the members have and that the album needs to be completely re-written if it is to be recorded in the original line up. What kind of information shall we be getting and how often? "I've talked to Alex yesterday and he said he'll fly here next month so that we can work on some of the riffs I've written?". There's other music to enjoy and let's leave the getting together, writing and recording processes to Chuck, Eric and whoever they choose to cooperate with.

SlayerNPG said:
I wouldn't care, but it seems like every year they're saying there will be a new album out and nothing. This is starting to get worse than Chinese Democracy

please...

it's similar but nowhere near as bad as that sitation is

and this is coming from a person who still believes that Chinese Democracy will see the light of day

Testament fans have it easy as far as I'm concerned

You know... with these original recording line-up shows they're doing, I can imagine that for all of them they're pretty much testing the water again in regards to working with each other - to see if they still have the old vibe. It's got to be really important to them that they make the right decision for the right reasons.

At a guess, I think they'll be trying out these shows to get some feedback from the fans as well as seeing if they can still work well together. There's some fans who haven't been into the band since their conception and got into them later in their career... and like the old Anthrax conundrum (oh... they're only back together again for the money attitude) - some fans just won't want to know about an 'old' line-up reunion, and as far as they're concerned, 'Low' is the best Testament album, everything before it was shit, and that's the end of it...

I'm sure at the end of these reunion shows, the band will take all this shit into consideration and do the right thing by the fans... even if it means calling it a day. Which hopefully won't be the case.

Like, High Priest Of Evil was explaining in his last post - the band don't want to offer 'definite' statements about their future if they know in their blackened souls that they can't follow them up with 'definite actions'. That would be issuing false hope to fans who will ultimitely be more pissed off when they DON'T deliver what was promised than they ever would be if they DID deliver.

Until they figure it all out, just think yourself lucky they have a hefty back catalogue for you to be entertained with...

At a party the other night a freind to freind played me a cd of Testament demos that he got from Chuck at Dynamo. Apperently these were demos of songs that the band has been working on the last couple of years, and all i can say is that it sounds really, REALLY good.

At a party the other night a freind to freind played me a cd of Testament demos that he got from Chuck at Dynamo. Apperently these were demos of songs that the band has been working on the last couple of years, and all i can say is that it sounds really, REALLY good.
Could you care to elaborare upon this demo a bit? What testament album did it resemble the most? Was it very similiar to The Gathering? Was it fas/slow/melodic/heavy/complex/simplistic with lots of growling or screaming or clean singing?
Sorry to ask, but every bit of information is golden for those of us waiting..

the problem with the new album is the line up, coz Testament has to make a better album than The Gathering!!!!! and thats very difficult, Exodus made the best thrash metal record in years so Testament has to deal with that

estigma2001 said:
the problem with the new album is the line up, coz Testament has to make a better album than The Gathering!!!!! and thats very difficult, Exodus made the best thrash metal record in years so Testament has to deal with that

I'm sorry dude... Exodus are a class band, but they're only 2nd Division compared to Testament's Premier League...

Testament don't have to deal with shit about them!

Even if this is just a "hobby" there still should be more updates and at least some new music. Bands like Exodus, Obituary, Flotsam and Jestsam don't do this full time and have jobs and other stuff outside of their bands, but they still put out new releases, it's not that hard. Gary Holt just wrote two of the best thrash albums ever in two years and one of the albums he had to do with a whole new lineup and it's still killer. I just don't understand why it's so easy for other bands to who don't do this fulltime to put out new music, but when it comes to Testament it's brain surgery.

High Priest Of Evil said:
Could you care to elaborare upon this demo a bit? What testament album did it resemble the most? Was it very similiar to The Gathering? Was it fas/slow/melodic/heavy/complex/simplistic with lots of growling or screaming or clean singing?
Sorry to ask, but every bit of information is golden for those of us waiting..

´
Well i reckon it reminded me a bit of the The Gathering.
They were, as i was told, only rouch ideas with pretty poor quality so i really cant say thay where that complex.
Heck i far as i know this guy could full of BS.

I´ll ask the dude for a copy and let you know more.