2013 Albums of the Year

Power_Metal_Dom

Epic Metaller
Aug 8, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
We're well on our way to Christmas and it's that time again! There's nothing really coming out the rest of the year, so what have been your notable listens of 2013? I'll kick things off:

The Amazing

Helloween - Straight Out of Hell
Stratovarius - Nemesis
Avantasia - The Mystery of Time
Powerwolf - Preachers of the Night
Týr - Valkyrja

The Good

Dreamtale - World Changed Forever
Raven Lord - Descent to the Underworld
Gloryhammer - Tales from the Kingdom of Fife
Civil War - The Killer Angels
Eden's Curse - Symphony of Sin
Wardrum - Messenger
Tellus Requiem - Invictus (The 11th Hour)

The Not Bad

Derdian - Limbo
Masterplan - Novum Initium
Dark Moor - Ars Musica
ReinXeed - A New World
Wisdom - Marching for Liberty
Almah - Raise The Sun
Human Fortress - Raided Land
Heavatar - Opus I All My Kingdoms
Voodoo Circle - More Than One Way Home
Epicrenel - The Crystal Throne
Majesty - Thunder Rider
Circle II Circle - Seasons Will Fall
Alpha Tiger - Beneath the Surface
Eclipse Prophecy - Days of Judgement

The Ugly

Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of New Hope
Iron Mask - Fifth Son of Winterdoom
Rhapsody of Fire - Dark Wings of Steel
Wizard - Trail of Death
Dragonhammer - The X Experiment

Power_Metal_Dom's 2013 Album of the Year: Stratovarius - Nemesis

This was a very difficult call but I think the freshness and composition, the whole flow of the album singles this one out JUST. Strato go from strength to strength post-Tolkki whilst....

Biggest Disappointment of the Year: Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of New Hope

I was tempted to say Rhapsody after such a monumental fall from grace but really nothing can out-crap this absurdly bland and unexciting album from Timo. It had amazing potential and it just fizzled like a wet fart.

I haven't checked out many albums from this year to be honest, but particular ones I've enjoyed are:

Annihilator - Feast

Gama Bomb - The Terror Tapes

Helloween - Straight out of Hell

Saxon - Sacrifice

I don't think I've checked out one single album released this year. Will be getting new Rhapsody of Fire sometime soon. Plus I will probably get Stratovarius - Nemesis. Nice to see it on the top of you list Dom!

I loved Gloryhammer's album this year as well as Avalon's first album, but other than that I havent got to hear much 2013 albums

Didn't get to check out too much new music this year... Unfortunately the two best albums for my ears were released within two weeks of each other at the start of the year.

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Stratovarius - Nemesis

RUNNERS-UP
Helloween - Straight Out Of Hell
Kings of Leon - Mechanical Bull

VERY GOOD
James LaBrie - Impermanent Resonance
Rhapsody of Fire - Dark Wings of Steel
Dream Theater - Dream Theater

TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, or VERY BAD
Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land of New Hope
Gloryhammer - Tales From the Kingdom of Fife
Avantasia - The Mystery of Time

STILL HAVE TO HEAR
Dreamtale - World Changed Forever
Masterplan - Novum Initium
Eden's Curse - Symphony of Sin
Tyr - Valkyrja

Really been slacking this year. Need to hear these last four before the year ends - didn't even know Masterplan had a new one out...

Avalon is bad because it's watered down power metal, it shows Tolkki as a shadow of what he once was, trying to capture lightning in a bottle again by mimicking the Avantasia concept, but it just falls flat, "fizzles" as Dom put it... Gloryhammer is a joke to my ears, a gimmick, talented musicians but paling in comparison to the likes of Rhapsody. Avantasia's is abysmal not because of the music (which is actually decent in places, as always it has very catchy hooks) but the lyrics make absolutely no sense, the guest singers sound too similar and some sound like they're either way beyond their prime or didn't even try (I can hear a couple spots where they're cracking, even). Tobias's wailing screamy-shouty voice is too much and there are parts where it sounds like there just should have been more (looking at Where Clock Hands Freeze, where he just stops a bar or two before the chorus, it completely kills the energy for me). I've just heard much better from them. That said I really really REALLY do like Where Clock Hands Freeze, best on the album, but it disappoints me to just hear the energy go nowhere at that part.

All my opinions, I know I'm in the minority by having those albums at the bottom and having Rhapsody up top, but that's just me. :p

Avalon is bad because it's watered down power metal, it shows Tolkki as a shadow of what he once was, trying to capture lightning in a bottle again by mimicking the Avantasia concept, but it just falls flat, "fizzles" as Dom put it... Gloryhammer is a joke to my ears, a gimmick, talented musicians but paling in comparison to the likes of Rhapsody. Avantasia's is abysmal not because of the music (which is actually decent in places, as always it has very catchy hooks) but the lyrics make absolutely no sense, the guest singers sound too similar and some sound like they're either way beyond their prime or didn't even try (I can hear a couple spots where they're cracking, even). Tobias's wailing screamy-shouty voice is too much and there are parts where it sounds like there just should have been more (looking at Where Clock Hands Freeze, where he just stops a bar or two before the chorus, it completely kills the energy for me). I've just heard much better from them. That said I really really REALLY do like Where Clock Hands Freeze, best on the album, but it disappoints me to just hear the energy go nowhere at that part.

All my opinions, I know I'm in the minority by having those albums at the bottom and having Rhapsody up top, but that's just me. :p
I see what makes you hate these albums. For me, I dont really pay attentions to things like you said. When I heard both albums, I immediately thought they're amazing. The production on both albums was excellent, the combination of talented singers with awesome voice throughout the album was also making things more exciting and diverse. Some moments are boring, such as the first song on Avalon's album but the rest sounded amazing to me. I guess there are things about these albums that people like you really dont like, but for people like me I just dont care. If the albums sound good, then they sound good.....and I loved the Rhapsody influenced musical direction on Gloryhammer's album as well. For me it sounded like an improved version of Rhapsody's albums

Let me ask you 1928... If you'd look at these albums(Avalon and Gloryhammer's albums) in terms of production and overall performance, would you still regard that as terrible as well? Because I was amazed by those things, personally. There was very few moments where I thought it is crap during the listening of both albums. Quite disappointing to see how people are unable to appreciate good music on this forum

"Good music" is subjective. Sorry if my tastes don't fall in line with yours, also sorry if it somehow hampers your enjoyment of the music. I didn't contest your opinions, I was explaining mine. But when I listen to an album, I don't listen to it for the production, I listen to it for music that resonates with me. Didn't get any of that from those albums. Take that however you will, I'm just giving my POV. I also have a strange feeling you're Noam, but if not, don't mind that too much, ain't no thing. *shrug*

EDIT: How long have you been listening to power metal? I am admittedly quite jaded on the genre and it takes a lot to even pique my interest from a new band these days. I've scoured countless bands for over half my life, I still love a lot in the genre but it's mostly old stuff now.

"Good music" is subjective. Sorry if my tastes don't fall in line with yours, also sorry if it somehow hampers your enjoyment of the music. I didn't contest your opinions, I was explaining mine. But when I listen to an album, I don't listen to it for the production, I listen to it for music that resonates with me. Didn't get any of that from those albums. Take that however you will, I'm just giving my POV. I also have a strange feeling you're Noam, but if not, don't mind that too much, ain't no thing. *shrug*

EDIT: How long have you been listening to power metal? I am admittedly quite jaded on the genre and it takes a lot to even pique my interest from a new band these days. I've scoured countless bands for over half my life, I still love a lot in the genre but it's mostly old stuff now.
Yeah its me. About 5 years I believe, and DragonForce was one of the first ones Ive heard and I really loved them because of the fast tempos. These days I agree with you, most of the power metal releases are really bad and uninteresting. There are some exceptions though, for example a guy like Timo Tolkki is very talented when it comes to Power metal and he has alot of experience. So Revolution renaissance and symfonia for example were really good projects in my opinion. If you dont like much of the newer power metal albums you can just listen to the older ones that you like. Or you can try listening to different genres, even outside the metal genre.....the music industry is much larger than you might think man. You should give other genres a listen and then who knows, maybe you'll fall in love with different kinds of music. Thats my main advice for you I guess

Oh no, believe me, I know what works for me and what doesn't - that's why I'm not so bothered by the power metal albums that let me down this year! Always something else to fill the void :)

Oh no, believe me, I know what works for me and what doesn't - that's why I'm not so bothered by the power metal albums that let me down this year! Always something else to fill the void :)
Yeah but looking at your 2013 albums list again, your list seems really really strange. For example 2 of the albums I'd say are the best ones released this year are on your terrible list, including Avantasia's album which is just amazing in every aspect. Youre either very closed minded or just somehow got a really bad impression of these albums for whatever reason. Like you said yourself you're in the minority here, but its still strange. You seem to have a terrible taste in power metal music

Yeah but looking at your 2013 albums list again, your list seems really really strange. For example 2 of the albums I'd say are the best ones released this year are on your terrible list, including Avantasia's album which is just amazing in every aspect. Youre either very closed minded or just somehow got a really bad impression of these albums for whatever reason. Like you said yourself you're in the minority here, but its still strange. You seem to have a terrible taste in power metal music

Because I happen to dislike a couple popular power metal albums of 2013 I have terrible taste... got it, Noam. I've been trying to be neutral... everyone has an opinion... no need to attack others' tastes because of it. Again... sorry my opinion doesn't agree with yours. Doesn't mean my taste is bad. Jesus...

Because I happen to dislike a couple popular power metal albums of 2013 I have terrible taste... got it, Noam. I've been trying to be neutral... everyone has an opinion... no need to attack others' tastes because of it. Again... sorry my opinion doesn't agree with yours. Doesn't mean my taste is bad. Jesus...
Ok ok Im sorry, just not these grumpy comments again or I'll explode

Updated - finalized my list :)

#10: Rhapsody of Fire - Dark Wings of Steel
#9: James LaBrie - Impermanent Resonance
#8: Helloween - Straight Out of Hell
#7: Steve Lukather - Transition
#6: The Winery Dogs - self-titled
#5: Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
#4: Levin-Minnemann-Rudess - self-titled
#3: Ayreon - The Theory of Everything
#2: Kings of Leon - Mechanical Bull
#1: Stratovarius - Nemesis

Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing
Haken - The Mountain
Witherscape - The Inheritance
Jolly - The Audio Guide to Happiness Part 2
Enshine - Origin

Some of my favourites of 2013...in no particular order

James LaBrie - Impermanent Resonance
Place Vendome - Thunder in the Distance
Dream Theater - S/T
Royal Hunt - A life to die for

The latest Avantasia opus left me thoroughly underwhelmed sadly. Amazing artwork and package but barely a memorable tune in sight. Looks pretty though :) But I'm a firm believer that Avantasia should have just been a 3 part project and no more.

Lyrics are pretty important to me when it comes to the whole listening experience......if the lyrics don't make sense it's not going to matter how good the music is :)