2016 best year for Thrash since 1990?

Nov 4, 2004
That was the question posed by an article I read recently on release of the new Testament album.

Thrash was for me the most powerful, visceral form of heavy music when discovering metal at 16 or 17. I have to say this year has been amazing with quality new albums from the old guard - Anthrax, Megadeth, Testament, Sodom, Suicidal Tendencies (okay, not fully a thrash act), and the new Metallica album which leaked yesterday. I bought Dystopia in January and 10 months later am still playing it, a fantastic piece of work.

The new Testament is a killer, and after Dystopia I would rate For All Kings as next best album of the year. Soror Irrumator and Vice of the People included on my ipod making a 13 song slab of heavy hitting, melodic music. Hardwired to Self Destruct isnt as well written or arranged (though it is good) as Dystopia or FAK but 2016 has been one hell of a year.

Next up; jan '17:and new Sepultura and Kreator!

I don't know if it's the best, but it's been pretty good! About the only thing good about this entire year has been the music.

Def been a good year as far as classic metal bands all releasing albums this year but it's not that exciting to me anymore,thrash has been done to death,I'm more interested in something fresh,there is no way I would have these bands album on constant rotation like the good ol days,we need the next pantera or Metallica to come along but we also need something different

Great post, as yes I agree it's the best year for thrash since 90. Add Death Angel to the list of great thrash records this year too!!

Dunno. Most of the great thrash bands that have been around for 30+ years are releasing fulling on thrash albums, so I wouldn't call it a good year for thrash, necessarily.