4/5/1994

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
you know with all the different anniversaries that come and go where i think "i can't believe all that time has passed, it feels like yesterday!" the anniversary of kurt cobain's suicide doesn't make me think that for some reason. to me it feels like it has been more than ten years ago even. i mean it was definitely a shitty and sad day because it came at a point where i was finally realizing nirvana was actually really good whereas before i kind of was holding them responsible for the rise of really shitty bands in the early 90's(not all of them were shitty but i meant all the clones that came in the wake of nirvana, soundgarden, pearl jam, and alice in chains).

but anyhoo, the point of this is that i feel so far fucking removed from who i was then that it seems like ages ago even though it really wasn't. but now that i am reminded of today's anniversary i am sad. :(

my modern cynical self thinks that nirvana would've just fucked it up in the long run, anyway. they would've broken up and put out a bunch of solo albums. kurt's would've been pretty good but maybe not great. then they would've gotten back together five years later and had fred durst rap over "all apologies" for a new single.

I didn't know today was the date, I was listening to Incesticide this morning too.

I did flashback to teenage depression when that You Know You're Right single surfaced, he could've done a lot more.

well i do remember the day completely vividly, seeing as it was probably one of the most defining moments of people in and around my age group.

also 1994 was the year i went to my first metallica concert. and the year i failed my driving test the first time. and the year bruce dickinson's balls to picasso album came out, and the year they cancelled the headbanger's ball.

ok now it is starting to feel like yesterday.

i remember a kid coming to my dorm room and telling me that all my t-shirts and my letter from him would be worth a lot of money and i got really bummed because i mean i wouldnt sell that stuff :(

"Dear KURT COBAINE FAN CLUB member,

Please remit $19.95 for membership dues IMMEDIATELY. Should you fail to renew your membership, we feel obligated to inform you that KURT COBAINE will take it as a personal affront.

Sincerely,

Krist Novoselic, KURT COBAINE FAN CLUB President"

yea i do it's really old like maybe from 1992 or 3 or something i can't remember when but it's from a long time ago. it's at my gramma's house.

xfer said:
you left it there 'cause your mom and dad went to a show.
Haha.

I just realized today is also the day Layne Staley died, in 2002 though. Seems like it was much longer ago.

the thing that pissed me off the most about "You Know You're Right" is how 90% of the versions on Kazaa spelt it "You Know Your Right".

Hey buddy, thats how it was originally spelled on the bootlegs before that "official" version came out. That song sucks. RIP Layne Staley.

Actually I don't know how it was originally spelled, but I figured I'd throw xfer on a google goosehunt for the truth.