4the Nerds: Building a Hackintosh - interested in a guide?

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
So after browsing around the last couple of days I figured, what the hell let's just try it. If the whole thing doesn't work I have a beast gaming system, but since I've read allready hundreds of great and succesfull builds it will work.

Here's what I've ordered:
Processor:
Intel i7 2600K Boxed

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3

Graphics:
Sapphire HD 6870

Ram:
12GB DDR3-1600

Hard discs:
- OCZ SSD 120GB (for system and software)
- Seagate 1TB (for data)

Case:
Arflow case with 1x25cm and 1x12CM FAN

Power supply:
INTER-TECH Coba IT-8650VG

CPU Cooling:
ASUS Triton 78

Software:
Snow Leopard...DUH!

I will be buidling the whole thing myself, curious if you guys are interested in a step by step guide making the hackintosh.

I would really appreciate a retards guide to doing one of these. How much does one of these cost roughly compared to the apple equivalent?

This blog/page helped me when I did my build.
There's all info you're gonna need to get started.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/

Hackintosh is gonna cost as much as self build PC + OSX license.
So the price depends on your needs but roughly half compared to Apple products.

I tried hackintoshing store bought pcs/laptops, which proves much more frustrating! When building ones, as long as you have an edited DSDT for your motherboard, it goes so smoothly. I broke down and got a Macbook Pro through a ridiculous trade, but having a working mac helps in testing out and fixing bugs in hackintoshes.

I've been tempted for a long time to build a Hackintosh, but I would get so annoyed and flustered if I had an issue and couldn't fix it. I mena, I've built a PC before, but that's a little different than selecting parts that work specifically with OS X and editing kext files etc. I'd definitely be interested in following along though

Furthermore, now that I have a MBP, I'd be more likely to get an iMac or build a nice PC, for the sake of simplicity. Can always run OS X on my MBP and Windows on the PC. Can anyone direct me to the posts/threads about how Macs and OS X have inherent latency and that PCs can actually do better with latency? Can't remember what thread, but I know it was this forum, if anyone knows what I'm talking about?

It's actually realllllyyyyy easy!
I will get a guide in here soon, will contain references to other guides tho, but it work for me.

I only know the basics of computer technics, this means, where the PCI slots are, chip is placed, etc.etc.
I just was brave ordered all the components and started building my first computer, it work right from the start!

Installation of OS X to me 3 retries, simply because I was dumb enough ignoring the guids I had in front of me, forgot to use UpdateHelper before updating to OS X 10.6.8.

It's running smoothly now, allready have my licenses of Adobe Premium installed, and starting up photoshop is just incredible.
It just takes 1 "jump" in the dock to have Photoshop completelly started. Tried opening some 300-400mb photoshop files, no problemo segnor!

Anyway, this post is from my work based Intel i7 Quad Core Hackintosh!!!
Will soon be testing my MOTU-424 card to see if this would be an option for my audio productions and then I'll probally build a 6core for that one!

ok so i have built a few say five and there is no super secure way to do it but there is this thing i have called the EFIX internal usb dongle google it .it makes any intel computer compatible with the osx software disk you can buy at bestbuy or an apple store. I got into building super fast computers to run cubase at retarded track counts and stuff so eventually in all the computer building i ran into hackintosh and my first try on a hp laptop was a success until they discontinued the computability with my graphics card.
I have tested the efix dongle and it is the only thing that can fight against the unibody god.

If i get enough responses to this i will upload a youtube video running you step by step with and with out the efix dongle.

Even though the 2600K seems best value atm (for year's end) I'm planning to go for 960 instead. Way better socket (LGA 1366) more robust architecture -I think- and mobos support 24GB of RAM w/o having to wait for (DDR3) 8GB sticks to become either reasonably priced or commercial. The difference in benchmarking is negligible, anyways.