4x12" cabs : VHT Fat Bottom VS Orange PPC

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
My brother needs a cab with his new 6505.
Two interesting options at the moment are one used Orange PPC cab (4x12", V30 loaded), or one used VHT Fat Bottom cab (4x12", Eminence P50E loaded).

I just tried the Orange once back in time and really enjoyed it, from what I read VHT sounds a bit more "metal", less midrange.
I know he wants a modern tone (I guess somewhere between In Flames, Metallica, Killswitch Engage, Dream Theater...).

What do you think ?

If the thread starter doesn't mind I'd like to throw a couple more cabs in for comparison, save me making my own thread cos I was looking into these for the same purpose along with the randall XLT 4x12 and the Vader 4x12.

I haven't played the fatbottom cab, so I can't give an opinion there... I'm really curious about them though... I'd like to try one out sometime.

But I owned a Bogner 4x12 and an Orange 4x12 at the same time, and the Orange is definitely nice, but it's a very dark sounding cab.... it's dark, smooth, and the lowend could be tighter. I liked it, but I thought the Bogner was similar, but tighter and more crisp and I preferred that, so I sold the orange. I imagine the fatbottom cab is also much tighter and brighter than the orange cab, but everyone says those P50e's sound nothing like vintage 30's... so I can't say other than that.

The Mesa Traditional 4x12 is nice too... I think I'd probably prefer that one over the Orange as well...

EDIT: Oh, and I've heard the VHT and Vader cabs have a somewhat similar sound... both have eminence speakers, both have relaxed mids and smooth highs...

Ugghh, Vaders really don't sound appealing - they seem to be geared towards max power handling and oriented towards loud, piercing death metal tones (look at the endorsees on their website), so while they may be "tight" and have a lot of headroom, I would not expect one to sound too good recorded. The VHT I'm not sure about, could be good, though I know Reneisgod on here had one for awhile but didn't like it and I think went back to a V30 cab.

The Randall XLT's look like any other traditional-sized baltic-birch 4x12 w/ rear-mounted V30s, but for a great price too; I can't imagine them not sounding good.