5150 buying problem.

Scissors61

Jul 18, 2007
Brighton, UK
www.myspace.com
Today I have found a 5150 head for sale. It is apparently in very good cosmetic condition, but there is an unidentified problem with it. The guy says that he thinks it's a problem with the "power supply", and that before it stopped working it was making a "disturbing heavy breathing sound". Which he said might be something to do with the preamp tubes.

It's apparently never been gigged, and only used for rehersal. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any specific problems that may have caused what he is discribing?

I am obviously interested in buying the head, but don't want to buy it if it's going to cost LOADS to repair, I just wanted to see if anyone could give me some advice? Please?

Cheers...

He's asking £250 ish. Which I think is a bit high considering he doesn't know what's wrong with it. If he did know what was wrong with it and could give me a clue as to the price of repairs I probably wouldn't mind paying that much.

9 times out of 10 the problem is just bad tubes. If you have a good tech to take it too if changing tubes doesn't fix it you should have no worries. Most repairs aren't very expensive. The only costly ones would be to replace an entire pcb or transformer. I am 99% sure that isn't the issue with this head given the sound he describes.

major cost would be if a transformer is bad.

my recommendation is to have a tech look at it before you buy it, or take a set of tubes over and try it.

Almost 99% chance that it's tubes.

If it turns on and makes noise, I highly doubt that it's a bad power transformer. And from what you described, I wouldn't think it's a bad output trans either.

EDIT- Oh, I see that you said it doesn't work anymore.... I'd definitely have it looked at. Might be something as simple as the fuses blown inside, sometimes they blow when the power tubes take a shit.