5150 effects loop jack problem solution

Jan 11, 2007
Howdy do
I just thought I would make a post about a quick fix for a common peavey 5150 problem for anyone that is having it now or in the future. At band practice the other day half way through a song my amp had a huge volume drop suddenly. So I unplugged all my pedals and went straight into the amp but it did not help.

I found a youtube video were the guy had the same problem. His solution was to buy some contact cleaner at radio shack and put it on a 1/4 inch jack. Then push it in and out of the effects loop jacks on the back. Apparently dirt can build up on the connection between the preamp and power amp and this often fixes it.

Well it worked for me to and saved me an expensive trip to the repair shop. So now you know and knowings half the battle.

Every 5150 ive had....has had this problem....owned 3 of them. Had to do this everytime.....

Yeah, seems to be the 'thing' with my block letter too, and I see folks posting 'please help, 5150 acting weird' threads all over discussion boards...so, since I'm not a tech., can't the suspect parts (jacks) be replaced? Presumably this would be a pretty simple fix, even though they're attached to the board, and also I presume a more reliable part would cure the problem outright:erk:...or am I missing something?