5150 Output Help

crosstalk

Oct 14, 2007
So a band left their 5150 with me to do some reamping and while I have it I wanted to try using it with impulses like a lot of fellows do. Set it up like I would with my XXX and so far no luck. I can't get a signal out of the effects loop out and I can't get a signal out of the preamp out. I don't have the footswitch, so I don't know if it's the problem behind the effects loop out, but I'm sure the preamp out should work fine with or without the footswitch.

Any ideas what the problem may be or what I may be overlooking? Right now I'm assuming there is something potentially wrong with the amp, but having no prior experience with it, I can't rule out me doing something stupid.

Thanks.

I have recorded out of the pre-amp without the foot switch plugged in so I don't think that is the issue. The effects loop should be engaged if there is no foot switch to turn it off so that shouldn't be a problem either. Rather a curious problem.

i presume the preamp out is a mono right? i think it is on my 6505+ , maybe you have it panned wrong or something in your DAW? otherwise it should just work

I have recorded out of the pre-amp without the foot switch plugged in so I don't think that is the issue. The effects loop should be engaged if there is no foot switch to turn it off so that shouldn't be a problem either. Rather a curious problem.

That's what I was thinking.

i presume the preamp out is a mono right? i think it is on my 6505+ , maybe you have it panned wrong or something in your DAW? otherwise it should just work

I don't even get any sound monitoring from the interface. Nothing to do with DAW. I set up the exact same way with my XXX and it works.

The guy who owns it doesn't use the effects loop and has never messed with the preamp out. I find it strange that at least one of the two wouldn't work. I do notice that plugging into the preamp out lowers the volume coming out of the cab.

This sucks, the dude was thinking about selling it pretty cheap, but I'm not buying if these are issues with the amp.

Is this an original 5150?

If you are getting sound out of the amp when using it as normal, then there is something else wrong with what you are doing. The preamp out jack comes straight from the phase inverter network, so if you aren't getting sound out of there, then the amp wouldn't be working at all. Unless of course, the jack isn't wired up anymore for some reason.

Is this an original 5150?

If you are getting sound out of the amp when using it as normal, then there is something else wrong with what you are doing. The preamp out jack comes straight from the phase inverter network, so if you aren't getting sound out of there, then the amp wouldn't be working at all. Unless of course, the jack isn't wired up anymore for some reason.

It is a 5150, not a block letter, but the ones after it I think. Not a 6505. The guy's had a tech work on it before or several times. What he did other than retubing and biasing, I don't know, but I suppose it's possible that the jack has been disconnected. Now I'm tempted to open it up and see. He said he's had it repaired, but it seems that he's interchanging repair with retubing since it wasn't working due to bad tubes.

Do this for me. While getting sound out of the amp, plug a cable(one that's not connected to anything) into the FX return jack. Lemme know what happens.

Do this for me. While getting sound out of the amp, plug a cable(one that's not connected to anything) into the FX return jack. Lemme know what happens.

It drops the volume. If I connect the cable to complete the fx loop, it brings the volume back up.

I found that if I crank the pre volume and turn the post gain up on the amp, I can get the tiniest of signals going through. Sounds horrible and I'm not keen on having an amp cranked up just to use it with an impulse.

I just swapped the cables to the XXX and it works properly.