5150 II Noise Questions

basilofbakerstreet

I ain't payin.
Aug 1, 2009
Virginia
www.myspace.com
I adore this amplifier. My only issue is the noise floor is more accurately described as a roof. Maybe a sky. Lead channel is f'n noisy.

Anyway, 2 questions that pertain to this issue.

1. For live use, do effects in the loop work with the preamp out?

2. In addition to the question above, I know the original 5150 doesn't work at all in standy mode. Does the 5150 II?

I'd really prefer to just use it as a preamp with its switchable effects loop, run that out to an NS-2 then slave it to the power section of a Bogner I have that the preamp's busted in. Its power section is quite tasty.

If I have to use a dummy load just for that, then that's so god damned retarded my brain may indeed cave in from the sheer stupidity of even having a preamp-out on the damn thing.

Anyway. In advance. Thanks for your help guys.

That was my first idea. However, the fact that I need that loop switchable still remains. I'm running delay and a boost on the lead channel for solos. I need that NS-2 on constantly behind the preamp tubes.

I adore this amplifier. My only issue is the noise floor is more accurately described as a roof. Maybe a sky. Lead channel is f'n noisy.

Anyway, 2 questions that pertain to this issue.

1. For live use, do effects in the loop work with the preamp out?

2. In addition to the question above, I know the original 5150 doesn't work at all in standy mode. Does the 5150 II?

I'd really prefer to just use it as a preamp with its switchable effects loop, run that out to an NS-2 then slave it to the power section of a Bogner I have that the preamp's busted in. Its power section is quite tasty.

If I have to use a dummy load just for that, then that's so god damned retarded my brain may indeed cave in from the sheer stupidity of even having a preamp on the damn thing.

Anyway. In advance. Thanks for your help guys.

I have never seen an amp run in standby mode.

No the FX loop does not work in conjunction with the Preamp out

You WILL have to use a dummy load on the 5150

That was my first idea. However, the fact that I need that loop switchable still remains. I'm running delay and a boost on the lead channel for solos. I need that NS-2 on constantly behind the preamp tubes.

What I do is run the NS2 first in the chain in the loop. and leave the loop on all the time. Then have an A/B setup through the loop.

Loop Out > NS 2 > A/B wired in reverse > Loop in

Out of the B side of the A/B I run a chorus, delay and boost :)

A lot of amps have preamp out and effects loop sends that work when the amp's in standby, thereby not requiring a load for slaving or silent recording.

The Peavey JSX, for instance, does this. I can't see why the 5150 II shouldn't as well. I know the 5150 I doesn't, but is also an older amp, so I's just wonderin'.

No need for kissing, but ya the noise on the 5150 series in general kinda sucks ...lol

This was a FAST and very cheap solution :)

Glad I could help

OHHH ... forgot 1 thing in all that, I use the chorus to split the signal after the NS2, That way you get an A and a B side into the AB Box ....lol

So technically the signal is ....

Loop Out > NS2 > Chorus Out 1 > (AB Box) Side A> Loop In

Chorus 2 Out > Boost > Delay > (AB Box) Side B > Loop in

A lot of amps have preamp out and effects loop sends that work when the amp's in standby, thereby not requiring a load for slaving or silent recording.

The Peavey JSX, for instance, does this. I can't see why the 5150 II shouldn't as well. I know the 5150 I doesn't, but is also an older amp, so I's just wonderin'.

Because the 5150/6505 series are not master volume amps.

I'd say that probably most (if not all) modern amps that DO pass preamp/loop signal in standby are all master volume amps.

Because the 5150/6505 series are not master volume amps.

I'd say that probably most (if not all) modern amps that DO pass preamp/loop signal in standby are all master volume amps.

The existence of an MV isn't the deciding factor. In a lot of amps the B+ power supply goes to the pentodes, then on to the triodes. Standby interrupts the B+ to the pentodes, so the triodes also get no power in this arrangement.

Amps which allow the preamp to operate during standby have the power tubes and preamp tubes on separate B+ lines.

A 5150 could be modded like that, but the sound would probably change some since the B+ would be stiffer without he power tubes drawing current.

The existence of an MV isn't the deciding factor. In a lot of amps the B+ power supply goes to the pentodes, then on to the triodes. Standby interrupts the B+ to the pentodes, so the triodes also get no power in this arrangement.

Amps which allow the preamp to operate during standby have the power tubes and preamp tubes on separate B+ lines.

A 5150 could be modded like that, but the sound would probably change some since the B+ would be stiffer without he power tubes drawing current.

I didn't point to the build structure as the reason, only that amps with master volumes seem to be the ones that do this, and I still contend that in reference to modern amps (well I suppose modern hi gain amps since that's really all I pay attention to).

But I suppose in that sense the 5150/6505 series is the odd ball as it seems most modern hi gainers HAVE master volumes, haha.