Boss NS-2 vs. MXR Noise Clamp

hogan666

Mar 7, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
www.liquid-artz.com
Hey,

I'm rearranging my rack setup, getting rid of my Boss GT-Pro and switching to a loop based setup. One thing I like in the GT-Pro is the Noise Reduction. I use it via 4CM (5150 in the Boss loop).

Because of the 5150 dumb loop (master volume before send) I don't want to use Gates without a loop, because it doesn't work well.

First of all, the ISP G-String is too expensive for me. To me it's not worth spending so much money for a gate.

Does anyone have experiences with the new MXR Noise Clamp, which like the Boss can be triggered with the guitar but is placed in the loop?

Thanks, Markus.

Ich mach beim line-check immer einen kurzen check, ob das signal auch so durchkommt wie ich das will (also wo es abgeschnitten wird).

Hatte damit bisher noch nie probleme.

beim 5150/6505 reicht aber auch 3 meisens vollkommen aus. Oft wollen die tonleute von mir, dass ich ihn bissel leiser fahre....

Ansonsten bisschen mit dem gain zurück gehen

Ich mach beim line-check immer einen kurzen check, ob das signal auch so durchkommt wie ich das will (also wo es abgeschnitten wird).

Hatte damit bisher noch nie probleme.

beim 5150/6505 reicht aber auch 3 meisens vollkommen aus. Oft wollen die tonleute von mir, dass ich ihn bissel leiser fahre....

Ansonsten bisschen mit dem gain zurück gehen

Strongly disagree :D

I already got the ISP, but the main problem is when adjusting the master volume on the 5150 especially live, you have to readjust the treshold. Sucks big time for me.

Uhm...naaa....I use it always at 11-12o'clock with any master volume (decent volume... 1 and above) and it works well.

+1 only once, maybe twice adjusted live

Maybe I'm just a bit too stupid using hightech with one knob :yell::tickled:

--

@Clockwork:
To me the MXR looks nice too. They made the smart gate, which has a good reputation, so the Noise Clamp couldn't be the worsest piece of gear.

--

Did I mentioned, that I hate writing in english? Reading my own sentences make me feel ashamed. *haha* Trust me, in my native language I'm a bit better in usng grammar. :D

don't worry...
Everything sounds like shit in 5150's loop...
The day I kicked out all my pedals from my 5150II I enjoyed the amp for the first time...

Lol. Even the 5150 sounds like poo through the 5150's loop. I read recently that the 5150 stock power section can amplify cleanly up to 8 or 9 on the master volume, but when you bring the master up to about 4, its the fx loop overloading that causes the compression. Thats one shitty loop haha.

Get your amp biased,buy some good tubes and a nice cable...
Thats it...
When i was younger I loved effects and used them a lot...
But as I grow up I find that the tone is not on effects...I even hate delay nowadays for the solos...
It's very hard to make a dry signal sound nice but to me it's the best way to improve your playing and phrasing...
You don't need delays sustain if you have a nice vibrato...
IMOV

I never get used to the NS-2, remains disconected on my pedalboard.. if you ask me I think is a total p.o.s.

I keep hearing so much hate on the NS-2 and I really don't understand why. So many people claim it sucks tone, etc....but either my ears are REALLY bad (which I dont think they are) or the "tone loss" is so little that I don't hear it. I always run the NS-2 in front of the amp though.

Mhh, I never had problems with the loop. Maybe it's that my 5150 is a bit better than yours. :lol:

--

If the gate on the GT-Pro is the same as the NS-2, it'll work fine for me.
I don't need superfast Rammstein-Style gated sounds. I'm more into modern rock nowadays and nothing sucks more than a superhard gate for me.

For what you wanted the only thing that would do the job is the G-String because the threshold is set to the guitar before the amp, so you set the threshold for the guitar and will be fixed regardless of a change in MV or gain (clean channel dirty channel).

Since you don't want to pay for one, stop bitching. I never understand why people even put gates in the FX loops to begin with, the hiss is part of the amp and still isn't that loud on a 5150 to be noticed in a mix or live. Its more of a feedback issue live that is more important, and that means the gate goes before the amp.

Lol. Even the 5150 sounds like poo through the 5150's loop. I read recently that the 5150 stock power section can amplify cleanly up to 8 or 9 on the master volume, but when you bring the master up to about 4, its the fx loop overloading that causes the compression. Thats one shitty loop haha.

You might want to look at the schematic again, the FX loop valve is always on, by that I mean the signal always goes through the FX loop regardless if the FX is engaged or not. The rumor that goes around saying a 5150 can got to 8 or 9 before clipping the power section is purely myth, they run out of headroom and start compressing at 4, has nothing to do with the FX loop.