Which noise gate does Andy use when tracking guitars?

Josh Burgess

Feb 18, 2008
Tampa, FL
I've never heard it mentioned here, but I'm assuming he must be using some sort of noise gate when he tracks/reamps guitars. ISP Decimator? Pro Rack G? or just a Boss NS-2?

Just curious...

I'm looking at getting another noise gate now and looking mainly at the ISP Decimator Pro Rack G and ISP Decimator G-String, as I want to be able to run it in the loop (to get rid of amp hiss) and in front of the amp (to kill feedback) at the same time. I don't know if there's any difference in features or quality between these two... I would imagine there had to be some sort of compromise considering the price difference, but I don't really know...

Just kinda curious what Andy uses, since I've never seen it discussed...

Is there any real difference between the Pro Rack G and the G-String pedal? Both are designed for being used in front of the amp and in the FX loop at the same time... does the Pro Rack G do anything else or anything better than the G-String pedal? I'm really looking at these two specifically because of how they're setup to constantly monitor the input signal and adjust threshold accordingly (so you can switch to the clean channel without having to turn your noise gate off). I really like that feature, otherwise I'd just get two separate regular decimators haha

Bump, I want some opinions from you guys.

I realize instead of having a gate on the FX loop to get rid of amp hiss and hum, you could just use a noise gate inside the DAW, and then just a regular decimator with threshold set correctly in front of the amp would be fine. So, this might be what guys like Sneap are doing...

But what about for someone who will want to be able to use the gate live too? What would you guys suggest? I used to have the regular decimator pedal and it works well. I could just get two of them (one for the loop, and one for in front of amp), but I'd have to always click off the one in front of the amp when switching to a clean channel so it doesn't kill all sustain for cleans. That's why I'm interested in the Pro Rack G and the G-String pedal...

anybody?