Noise Gates

gixxsta04

Nov 27, 2010
Getting ready to buy a noise gate. I record in a very small room and i literally have to sit 2 feet or less from my amp. Feedback is a very big problem and its a 5150 so it hisses like a snake. Ive been looking at noise gates to fix the problem. Ditched the idea of the NS-2 as I hear its a tone sucker. Do I need to get the decimator g-string if I wanna get rid of the hiss and feedback altogether or will the normal decimator do? I guess I could always just run a software gate to knock out the hiss. Should I be looking at rackmount options as well? I kinda like the idea of a pedal, dual use, live/studio.

Decimator works the best, and I've tried every noise gate/suppressor on the market.

But, it does suck tone. It's just the nature of the beast. But with the decimator it's not that bad, and in my case I like how it drops some of the high end off before it hits the amp.

I have a feeling I'm in the minority here, but I still prefer the Rocktron Hush Super C units.

I have two of them. I always run them in the effects loop of my amps, and I have never had any trouble with them. They work really well for me and if there is any tone change, it's never been unpleasant in my opinion.

I have no issues running a ns-2. I keep on my distortion/over drive pedals ran through its loop and it sounds perfect. Maybe a slight bit of tone loss, but nothing that is not made back up by driving the amp with a ts9 or maxon.

This is how I run my NS-2. NG send to input on OD pedal. Then output of OD pedal to return on NG. Then NG out to either amp or the next stages of effects pedals on my board.