6 Reasons It's So Hard To Buy Concert Tickets

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
Really only pertinent to the "big" shows, but still an interesting read...

From http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/6-reasons-why-its-so-hard-to-buy-concert-tickets

"Maybe this has happened to you: You get excited about a concert, and make a point of visiting Ticketmaster just as tickets are about to go on sale. You click to purchase on the very moment the sale begins, but you discover moments later that the show is already sold out. You're crushed, and resign yourself to either not seeing the show or paying through the nose on the secondary market. You curse the heavens, or at least Ticketmaster. You wonder why this happens and how you can avoid getting shut out in the future.

Sad to say, but unless you have some serious connections, there's really not much you can do to get around this problem without throwing down serious cash. The concert industry is a rather unforgiving market that thrives when high demand coincides with scarcity, and there are many forces competing to either acquire tickets or maximize the profits made off those tickets.

Tickets for hot shows are allotted for various guest lists, credit card presale promotions, and fan club presales before the general sale, and in some cases, a majority of the tickets are long gone before regular fans get a crack at buying tickets. And then you have to contend with scalpers! It's almost impossible...."

Here's the highlighted list:
  1. Credit card presales can take a huge bite out of the pie.
  2. Tickets get reserved for the artist's fan club.
  3. Many artists scalp their own tickets.
  4. Oh, and then there's guest list and VIP.
  5. Once tickets go on sale to the general public, you sometimes have to compete with scalper bots.
  6. If you beat the odds and score tickets, you get slammed with inflated service fees.

you discover moments later that the show is already sold out.

Oh, yah, this happens to me all the time when there's a show I want to see, because the artists and shows I'm interested in attending all push the "$100 nosebleeds" envelope.

The nosebleed seats for Rush in Baltimore were $60ish after fees. Not horrible, but I remember paying that much for what are now the $85 seats in 2002, and the $110 good seats were completely unavailable at 10 hours after tickets went on sale. I think I paid about $75 apiece for seats back by the lawn at the County Clark WA show.

And this is partly why I rarely go to shows. I'd LIKE to support the touring bands more, but when the tickets START at $50+ for major bands, that's ridiculous.

The nosebleed seats for Rush in Baltimore were $60ish after fees. Not horrible, but I remember paying that much for what are now the $85 seats in 2002, and the $110 good seats were completely unavailable at 10 hours after tickets went on sale. I think I paid about $75 apiece for seats back by the lawn at the County Clark WA show.

And this is partly why I rarely go to shows. I'd LIKE to support the touring bands more, but when the tickets START at $50+ for major bands, that's ridiculous.

Yeah, it pretty much eliminates drawing the casual fans of a band.

Fair enough. Take the last Volbeat show I attended. There was a decent amount of guys there who would have been just as happy if the band playing was Hinder or some other Nickelband. They know a song or two from the radio, but beyond that it's all about getting drunk and maybe slamming into each other.

On top of $$ parking, $$ drinks, and that $30 t-shirt you want. The dollar to enjoyment ratio for me hasn't been there for years. I think the last time I really want to see a big show, pretty much all the tickets were put on an auction type of format. What bullshit. Anything remotely decent was over $500. I think that burned me out for the big shows. When I can go to something like PP and have multiple days of great music for what it costs...hell...even 70000 Tons was cheap once I factored in the amount of music I was seeing...I just can't justify the big name concerts anymore.

Metal has casual fans!?:devil:

A friend is trying to talk me into going to see Soundgarden with him. I have and enjoy Badmotorfinger, but never got into anything else by them. Then he tells me that a ticket + fees is around $75. This "casual" fan will not be attending.

On top of $$ parking, $$ drinks, and that $30 t-shirt you want.

Yeah, I very very rarely buy those $30 shirts either. I can't even remember the last time I bought a band shirt (that was for me). I might be more inclined to do so if the tickets weren't already so much, especially if the band is more likely to make money off the shirts than the tickets.

I freely admit to being a shirt addict. I can wear a different band's shirt every day for over a month at this point. Concerts are about the only time I buy clothes, lol.

I freely admit to being a shirt addict. I can wear a different band's shirt every day for over a month at this point. Concerts are about the only time I buy clothes, lol.

Ditto. After I finally cleaned my closet this past week I realized how much of a problem I have.

Ditto. After I finally cleaned my closet this past week I realized how much of a problem I have.

I have this problem as well, which is why I included it in my comment. Not always, but I have often bought shirts at shows...because where else am I going to find them? Anyway, when I moved last, I boxed up a large collection of them and they are in storage for the time being.

I miss them though. *sniff*