64 bit DAW?

schnykeees

Jun 17, 2010
I have W7 Home 64 bit with an i7 930 and 12GB of RAM. I want to utilize all of this processing power. What DAW do you guys recommend, preferably a 64 bit one.

Reaper and Cubase seem to have the least 64bit related complaints, but thats just from my reading not experience, as I am a very happy 64bit Logic user.

I use Cubase 5 on a 64-bit system... I would go for Reaper if I were you. I´ll switch as soon as I find time to adapt my workflow to Reaper. Cubase crashes way to often recently.

^^What's the main advantage of W7 64 over 32-bit one, given that I have 3gb ram and a dual-core AMD? I've heard that, unless you have 4 gb ram or more, there is no point in switching over. Truth?

^^What's the main advantage of W7 64 over 32-bit one, given that I have 3gb ram and a dual-core AMD? I've heard that, unless you have 4 gb ram or more, there is no point in switching over. Truth?

this is mainly an advantage (running more than 4gb)... 64 bit integer supports more efficient random access and background application idle.

there are a lot of benefits to running a 64 bit os.

however, 32-bit programs may not be fully compatible with a 64-bit operating system.

you might also run into issues with 32-bit device drivers not being supported. (assuming the hardware you have is not all 64 bit hardware).

you can do some research with regards to setting up an optimized 64 bit system using your current hardware.

if this machine is deticated for one or two things... like gaming/audio production you should be good to go... also, it can never hurt to upgrade the memory.

we have a davinci resolve system that lives on 64-bit Linux and employs 32-bit floating-point calculations... but all it is used for is color grading so there is very low maintenance.

joey makes the biggest point here: there are a lot of vst plug-ins that do not and MAY NEVER support 64 bit integer... it would behoove you to use a 32 bit daw with a 64 bit os.