6505/5150 questions.

Joelegend

Joe not so legend
Jun 5, 2009
Belgium
You can skip reading this, its just an intro, scroll down for the questions.

Probably there questions and answers are asked loads of times, but hitting 6505 in the search funtion... i dont wanna see the results.
So i G.A.S.sed a second hand Peavey 6505. Been using the Bugera 6260 for over a year. It is cheap, it sound very "open", but kinda abit honky and lacks some lows. Before that and sometimes in between i use a Peavey Triple X. Own it for 11 year now i think, its lovely, its brutal, but when playing more leadtones, it feels abit like a dickshrink, it way to focussed. Tho i probably never sell this amp.
So u got myself a 6505, recieved it my mail, the postppl really handled it with care, dunno how the fuck they did it, but when i openen de box, the plate wich covers the preamp (owner replaced it with a transparant plastic one), was bended and shattered where the screws were. Also the chassis next was bended... (i doubt the owner knew this, you have to be a hero to screw the cover back on like that). I took out the chassis, see if i could bend it back abit... seriously wtf, you have to be the hulk to do this..., Whatever happened, the amp still works, tho...

Question one:
how loud you peeps mostly set your post-gain? sorta have the feeling mine produces rather low volume, compared to my 6260. Only used it on my Harley Benton 2x12 V30 cab.

Question two: there amps have a fixed Bias ive read? Does this mean it is actually safe to replace the powertubes yourself? Meaning like, putting new ones in, and start using the amp again?
Not that i am gonna do this now, wanna have my amptech take a look at it, but the guy goes on holliday for 2 weeks :(.

This doesn't mean you can just use different power tubes!
If you are switching them with the same kind of power tubes, chance is there'll be no problem, but I'm no expert at this.

Most amps don't get in trouble when you switch them with the same kind of power tubes(matched), but I'm not sure with a 6505/5150.

For example: Mesa Boogies have a fixed bias too, you can just buy the same tubes from Mesa, plug and play.

Question one:
how loud you peeps mostly set your post-gain? sorta have the feeling mine produces rather low volume, compared to my 6260. Only used it on my Harley Benton 2x12 V30 cab.

Normally set the post gain on about 3-4 on mine.

Question two: there amps have a fixed Bias ive read? Does this mean it is actually safe to replace the powertubes yourself? Meaning like, putting new ones in, and start using the amp again?

Yeah as long as you're changing them for 6l6's you're fine.

i run my 6505+ at 6-7 on the master, most tube amps have a threshold on the volume whereafter they just get thicker, 6505+ is no exception, if anyone has a framus cobra, try setting it to 3 o`clock on the master is you can cope, its fantastic!

sorry for off topic.

i run my 6505+ at 6-7 on the master, most tube amps have a threshold on the volume whereafter they just get thicker, 6505+ is no exception, if anyone has a framus cobra, try setting it to 3 o`clock on the master is you can cope, its fantastic!

sorry for off topic.

that seems so unnecessary to me

i have a 6505+, and don't ever feel the need to push it past 4 on the post gain

Based on what you guys are saying i think my 6505 has a lower output. Just recorded some stuff, got a HB V30 in a selfbuild isolation closed. Set the post-gain between 2 - 3. When i do this with my bugera or try similar with my triple x, i get the feeling that the closet is going to explode. Now it was just fine.

About the powertubes, i mean 6L6's. Currently it has 5881/6L6WGC in them, kinda wanna try some sovtek 6L6wxt+ ones, or JJ's.

"We're just below three on the master on the 6505, sometimes up to four"

Colin Richardson, Guitarist Magazine December 2010 (on Rise to Remains first album recording)

3-4 should be perfect on the 5150 series. Your amp is not "fixed bias," which is a common misconception with amps that can't have their bias altered without mods. The 5150 and 6505 are cathode biased... But yes, dropping in a set of 6L6s is just fine, no adjustments necessary. Fixed bias amps are actually adjustable... I know, confusing. The 5150 series are biased insanely cold from the factory so you'll have no issues. The most common mod to these amps is to add and adjustable bias to it, so you can actually get the tubes running at a decent voltage. I find it gives a much thicker tone - You really won't need to turn it up loud at all to get a similar tone to a stock one at loud volumes.

Your amp is not "fixed bias," which is a common misconception with amps that can't have their bias altered without mods. The 5150 and 6505 are cathode biased....

huh?

99.9% of all push-pull amps are fixed bias, the 5150/6505 is no exception. Don't believe me, take a look at the schematic.

To the OP:

The preamp tubes are cathode biased, meaning they bias themselves and are plug and play. The power amp tubes are fixed bias, which means they derive their bias voltage from the DC power supply in the amp, this voltage can usually be adjusted, if not, a simple mod can take care of that. Most amps are biased fairly cold, and therefor do not need to be rebiased after every tube change. However if you want to experiment with different tones and maintain consistent tones thereafter when you change tubes, then a bias mod will take care of that.

5150/6505 do not have adjustable bias, and they are biased so cold that they are fizz machines, to mitigate that to some degree and pick up a little more tube sag (compression) at lower levels, a bias mod and biasing hotter will be a wise investment.

Got it back from my amptech, alot of shit was broken. Output RMS was only 4 watt. Good thing for me it were just small parts, so wasnt to expensive. Putting the post-gain on 1 now is already way to loud. This thing is a beast. Also got a friends 6505+ at home now, took it to my amptech also, his repairguy failed 2 times already trying to fix it. Compared both amps with same settings. The diffirence is huge. The 6505+ is way to dry for my taste.