Shootout! Peavey Ultra vs 6505+ vs 6534+ vs 6505+ 212

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
This weekend was the metalguitarist.org UK meet. It took place at the studio I use, and there was an enormous amount of gear on hand from everyone who attended.

I took my recording rig as well as my backline, so it was the perfect conditions for some shootouts!

We thought a Peavey shootout would be most interesting so here it is.

Peavey Ultra
Peavey 6505+
Peavey 6534+
Peavey 6505+ 112

All going through my Marshall 1960DM, into an SM57, using Jeff's good ol' Rose of Sharyn DI's. Only double-tracked, and just a snippet of the whole song.

http://soundcloud.com/numbskullaudio/sets/peavey-amp-shootout

Thoughts?

EDIT: It's the 112, not the 212. Not that it matters, because it was going through my Marshall anyway!

The 6505+ head and 6534+ are easily the best for me. Does the 6505+ 112 normally sound that distant in comparison? The difference is huge.

My favourite out of these clips is the Ultra, but I think it's just that amp not being as reliant on a boost as the others as it's naturally a bit tighter. 6505+ 112 is the worst by a long way. Think I prefer the 6534 over the 6505 as it sounds a bit bigger.

To be honest I think all of these could have benefited from having a boost in front though.

To be honest I think all of these could have benefited from having a boost in front though.

The +/II series 5150s have always sounded better without one to me. The TS just makes it lose all its balls and grit and puts a smoothness on it that takes some aggression away. With the standard 5150/6505 you definitely need one though IMO.

The blend sounds really nice.

I def dig the 6534+ and 6505+ the best but the two together is great.

Yeah 34s and 6L6 compliment each other. My old band did the same with rectos I was running the 34s and the other guy 6L6 and it was heavy bu gelled well.

the blend is really cool, i'm having a hard time trying to hear the difference between the 6505+ and the 6534+ though... meh i must be too tired.

The difference between the head and the combo is HUGE !!

Thanks for the shootout :D

Holy shit, even going into the same cab the difference between the head and the combo is massive :|

The blend sounds awesome, sounds like the darker tone of the 6534 is filling out the holes in the 6505, major gas'ing for both now :(