Experiment: making Rockmaster preamp sound like 6505

Daunt

Sep 16, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
www.myspace.com
A while back I heard that Peavey Rockmaster preamp sounds like 5150/6505. I bought one and discovered that the sound was much more in the hard rock zone than 6505. The midrange sounded thinner and the distortion was more grainier.

Two months ago I had a chance to do a demo session with 6505. When we did the reamping, I recorded the preamp out just in case. The band had a Mesa cab that I ended up using in the final mix.

Anyway, I set up some tracks with Guitarharck's impulses. After doing so I reamped the DI tracks through Rockmaster and tried to match the sound by using Rockmaster's controls. I knew it wouldn't sound the same so I captured an EQ curve (I used Voxengo CurveEQ) from the raw 6505 preamp tracks and matched them to the Rockmaster tracks (pre-impulse).

After a lot of comparing I noticed that 6505 had a "creamier" sound, so I used Sonic Maximizer VERY lightly with Rockmaster. Here's the result:

Sample A
Sample B
Different Left/Right

Tell me which one is the real deal? Both mixes share the same EQ and compression settings. Oh, forgot to mention that I used my TS808 clone for boosting. What I learned from this experiment was that Rockmaster can sound very good with the right EQ. Similar to 6505 or not.

You can find the answer from post #13

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Settings

CurveEQ file (pre-impulse)
CurveEQ file (post-impulse/group)
Screencapture - Channel Settings
Screencapture - Post Settings

It was like this:

6505 preamp tracks -> 6505 group track -> both preamps group track
RM preamp tracks -> RM group track -> both preamps group track
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Music by Drown In Hate. Check them out!​

Listening on my PX-100's... the two are quite similar, indeed.

That said, B sounds closer to mine in real life than A.

That's nuts, though - insane tone out of very, very cheap gear!

It sounds to me like:

A: 6505
B: rockmaster

Reason: sample B sounds a lot like my Bravo sounds with impulses because they are similar pre amps (grittier than 6505). Sample A has the thick low end that I could achieve with my 6505 and not my Bravo.

I could be way off though:loco:

I'm guessing:
A: Rockmaster
B: 6505
Left: 6506 Right: Rockmaster

But if i'm right I actually think I prefer the sound of the Rockmaster! hahaha