6505+ best cab? Mesa / Marshall 1960a / Peavey

PERCEPTIONOFREALITY

New Metal Member
Aug 10, 2011
Hey guys, new to this sight & in need of help..

I'm using a Peavey 6505+ with a rack mounted BBE Sonic Maximizer 882 (using both mono A & B channels with a patch cable) in the loop and a Fulltone OCD 18v in front (just for leads.) My main guitar is a Jackson soloist SL2 w/ active EMG's. I'm using a stock Peavey 6505 slant cab (4x12).

I'm getting a weird aftertone if I play a power cord then mute it? At first I thought is was a slightly blown or loose speaker but my bass player took off the back & said everything was tight?
I'm thinking about trading it in on a Mesa Boogie 412 slant cab but.. 1 - There a lot of money 2 - There may be a better cab with my set up 3 - I may have the same problem 4 - the stock Peavey 6505 cab is just as good as any?
I know I should go to Guitar Center with all my gear & try em out, but it would be a lot of work to lug all my shit there & set up..
Any advise would help..thank you!!

hey there.
i'm also new to this site. I know people who are fans of the peavey cabs and people who can't stand them. IMO i hate the cabs. Anything with V30's mix well with the 6505/5150 family. You'd be suprised at how cheap you can find used mesa on craigslist for, i bought my mesa traditional 4x12 for 450 usd, and it was the smartest decision i've made. a 6505 with a mesa is a beast!
gooodluck!

Before you go off dropping money on stuff you might not even need, take your rig around and try each piece out with something different (use your head w/ a different cab, then your cab w/ a different head). Can you describe this aftertone? Would it happen to be a faint but high-pitched ringing sound?

You have a quality rig as it is - quite possibly the most brutal sounding one on the planet! Peavy high gain heads + sonic maximizers = instant annihilation! :eek: V-30/G12-T75 speakers seem to work best with your head. There is nothing wrong with curiousity and wanting to try out other combinations, but only jump at these other combinations if you know without a doubt it is an upgrade tone-wise for what you want vs what you currently have.

Seriously, just turn on your amp, set post gain to 1-3 depending on the size of the location you're playing in, set everything else to 6 (trust me; just do it ;) ), kick on that maximizer with the dials set high noon and you will be the envy of metalheads everywhere.

Reactions: MYGFH
Hey guys, new to this sight & in need of help..

I'm using a Peavey 6505+ with a rack mounted BBE Sonic Maximizer 882 (using both mono A & B channels with a patch cable) in the loop and a Fulltone OCD 18v in front (just for leads.) My main guitar is a Jackson soloist SL2 w/ active EMG's. I'm using a stock Peavey 6505 slant cab (4x12).

I'm getting a weird aftertone if I play a power cord then mute it? At first I thought is was a slightly blown or loose speaker but my bass player took off the back & said everything was tight?
I'm thinking about trading it in on a Mesa Boogie 412 slant cab but.. 1 - There a lot of money 2 - There may be a better cab with my set up 3 - I may have the same problem 4 - the stock Peavey 6505 cab is just as good as any?
I know I should go to Guitar Center with all my gear & try em out, but it would be a lot of work to lug all my shit there & set up..
Any advise would help..thank you!!

Dude. Ur using a bbe 882, which is for balanced connections. Ur guitar rig is not a balanced connection. Ud need the bbe 382.
I'm sure that's why ur getting a weird aftertone.
Peavey cabs are fine. Mesa is better.
Cheers.