6505+ issue

Mar 15, 2011
So my head decided to stop working.

Here's the issue. Power turns on, power tubes glow, red LED turns on, but stand by won't turn off. Green LED doesn't turn on, no sound, no nothing.

Looking at the amp chassis atm, pre amp tubes also glow. fuses look okay from what i can tell although one is not clear, and has the paper wrap on the glass part of the fuse. Gonna take it out and see if that's the problem.

Any suggestions?

Yep, it was a fuse. Got it fixed and used it at our show last night.

However, I think something may have led to this fuse blowing. When I first power it up, it has a little crackle type noise until its warmed up. Its not dust in the pots, cause it doesn't change if I turn my knobs. Its like a mild crackling/popping. Not super loud, but a little strange.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this?

It did this before changing the fuse btw, this has been pretty constant for a while. But considering it clears up, I've never given it much thought, but since this is already posted, just thought I'd ask while I'm already diagnosing my head.

How old are your power tubes? Either they're on their way out or your sockets need to be cleaned.

My amp makes a little "popping" type sound when I first power it on. Sounds like the tubes just heating up and "crackling" due to temperature change to me.

How old are your power tubes? Either they're on their way out or your sockets need to be cleaned.

Minimum 3 years, max 4.

I bought it used in 2010, but the serial number says 2009, so the head is only 4 years old, and in the event he changed the tubes at a year (which i doubt) they're a minimum of 3 years old now.

Change the power tubes. They're due for a change given the symptoms you describe. Clean the sockets as well.