6505 Revalver III tone test

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
I download the Revalver III demo and I can tell its going to change my life! I instantly fell in love with the JSX, but after tweaking for a while, I think the 6505 is my favorite. Here's a little quad tracked sample. Two guitars are on the red channel, two on the green channel. How does it sound?

Guitar chain:
Ibanez S with Seymour Duncan JB > Modded TS9 > DOD direct box > ART MPA Pro tube preamp > Delta 1010 > Revalver III. I used an impulse called "Behindert NewIR_1."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=404561&songID=6476066

Nice work there. I think you managed to get some cool tones out of the software. I'm still not 100% sold on it though. The mids there are a bit plastic and flat sounding, and there's no real 'oomph' or body as you would find in the real counterparts. I believe I'll be playing through, and mic'ing a real amp for some time yet.

Whilst you can probably hide the intricacies of the tone in a large and well-balanced mix, I just don't think it would really cut it for an album release.

The plasticy mids are my fault, not Revalver's. The palm mutes were huge on the original tone, but then I broke out the standard Sneap C4 settings to clamp down severely on the low mids and then I used a mutiband compressor to lock it into place even more. I probably went a little overboard on that! The dynamic swings on the palm mutes were huge though and I wanted to tame them.

To me though, this first Revalver III tone seems so much better than my standard Gearbox setup and I firmly believe it will sound convincing in the context of a full mix and after I get some time do really get into tweaking.

Sounds really nice man.. I just downloaded the demo and wil be trying it out later. But hey, you gotta rename that impulse file, I didn't make it! :) I just don'nt want to have cred for something someone else has done.. It's all GuitarHacks work :)

By all means, I look forward to what you can tweak out of it in the future. I think I'm still set on buying a cheap Bugera head, a dummy load and just using impulses on top.

A real head with impulses is probably superior to all software. Unfortunately, I Ebayed most of my real amps gear long ago so its all software for me now!

I miss my 5150 and Laney the most. I also had a 1993 Dual Rectifier, a Lee Jackson modded JCM800, a DSL, a Line 6 Flextone HD, and a JMP1. Now all I've got is my Rockmaster, modded ADA, Peavey poweramp and my Marshall cabs. I am not impressed with the Rockmaster and ADA with impulses so no dice there. I'm determined to get Revalver III as good as possible, dammit!!!!

Sounds really nice man.. I just downloaded the demo and wil be trying it out later. But hey, you gotta rename that impulse file, I didn't make it! :) I just don'nt want to have cred for something someone else has done.. It's all GuitarHacks work :)

Really? I was ABing that one with GuitarHacks collection to make this sample. I didn't hear one that sounded like the one you renamed!

Really cool tone man. I'm certainly not looking at this as a replacement for micing a real amp, but can definitely see the uses. Did some tracking yesterday and had to use the built in Logic amp sim (thanks to line 6 for having it so the Podxt acts as a dongle for Gearbox). I have downloaded the demo, but haven't installed it to the studio machine yet. Will definitely be buying this.

awesome tone! i can't dial in a good tone for shit - i was blown away by your posting. Are you running the impluse in RIR or another plug in? Did you adjust the low,high, dist & crunch settings?

thanks!

Splat88: That one is not really in his collection.. He posted it here a while ago without telling anyone what it was.. just posted it as a .wav-file haha. I think the headline was something like "I made a new wav" or something like that.. can't remember. I figured out it had to be an impulse, so I tried it out as one :)