70's Priest

Dec 27, 2004
I've decided that 70's priest is like good Led Zepplin. If you took all the gay boring parts of Zepplin and made them more Metal, you'de get 70's Priest.

nah, as always i exaggerate to get my point across loud and clear

i really don't like the commercial edge almost all of their 80's (and 90's) albums had though. they seemed far more genuine in the 70's, and the music was better as well... diamonds and rust, exciter, beyond the realms of death, run of the mill, victim of FUCKING changes, dreamer deceiver/deceiver, etc

Erik said:
nah, as always i exaggerate to get my point across loud and clear

i really don't like the commercial edge almost all of their 80's (and 90's) albums had though. they seemed far more genuine in the 70's, and the music was better as well... diamonds and rust, exciter, beyond the realms of death, run of the mill, victim of FUCKING changes, dreamer deceiver/deceiver, etc

I know :cool:

But to me, Screaming, Defenders & Painkiller will always rule face.

My favorite albums are Sad Wings and Stained Class. Screaming and Defenders were the current albums when I became a fan, so they always will have a special place.

Pyrus said:
I still stand by my statement that Stained Class is one of the most important albums in metal. Without Stained Class, we wouldn't have Maiden. Without Maiden...yeah.

That is pure bullshit.

Pyrus said:
I still stand by my statement that Stained Class is one of the most important albums in metal. Without Stained Class, we wouldn't have Maiden. Without Maiden...yeah.

You do realize that while "Iron Maiden" was released in 1980, the band was toiling in the club scene since the mid 70's don't you? Don't you?

"Stained Class" was released in 1978.

And their sound from the club gigs stuff of the 70s changed quite a bit in the Dickinson era, didn't it?

This always gets the knee-jerk reaction that I'm in some way disparaging the untouchable Iron Maiden. I'm not; Priest's sound was just as derivative of previous bands, as with pretty much every band before or since. But the legendary Maiden gallop, for instance, has a clear predecessor in the title track from Stained Class; the dual-lead guitars of "Aces High" and "Hallowed Be Thy Name" can be found in "Exciter" and "Saints In Hell." That album laid the groundwork, and then Maiden built on it–and Maiden's responsible for the existence of at least two major genres of metal.

Pyrus said:
And their sound from the club gigs stuff of the 70s changed quite a bit in the Dickinson era, didn't it?

This always gets the knee-jerk reaction that I'm in some way disparaging the untouchable Iron Maiden. I'm not; Priest's sound was just as derivative of previous bands, as with pretty much every band before or since. But the legendary Maiden gallop, for instance, has a clear predecessor in the title track from Stained Class; the dual-lead guitars of "Aces High" and "Hallowed Be Thy Name" can be found in "Exciter" and "Saints In Hell." That album laid the groundwork, and then Maiden built on it–and Maiden's responsible for the existence of at least two major genres of metal.

Ummm, no. But I'll let someone more eloquent than me explain why, like Erik.

Pyrus said:

Yes and no. Although they evolved, you could always hear that distinct epic nature even on the debut: see "Phantom of the Opera" or "Transylvania". Basically, the line up changed and they dropped their punk leanings so no more songs like "Running Free", "Sanctuary", or "Women in Uniform".

But the legendary Maiden gallop, for instance, has a clear predecessor in the title track from Stained Class; the dual-lead guitars of "Aces High" and "Hallowed Be Thy Name" can be found in "Exciter" and "Saints In Hell." That album laid the groundwork, and then Maiden built on it

Yeah but Stained Class is a 1978 release! Maiden were well on their way by then. You're better off citing Sad Wings as an influence, or Rocka Rolla.

I do see what you're saying, however, but just knowing Maiden, they claim to be influenced much more so by bands like Jethro Tull and Thin Lizzy, both of which had all those traits you just listed: "Aqualung" and "Jailbreak" were released in 1971 and 1975 respectively.

Then you can look to Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Rainbow, etc...all probably more of an influence than Priest.

I imagine that Steve Harris basically just had similar influences to those of Priest.... *remembers Novembers Doom review thread discussion on Opeth influences (or not)*

and Maiden's responsible for the existence of metal.

Fixed. :loco: