70's rush and priest

The saYer

thrashermetaller
Aug 17, 2003
bay area
Visit site
I am not familiar with most 70's music, but I hear that priest and rush did their best albums in the 70's , what I am more interseted in is that I saw a review that said that 70's rush was more metallic?, but how can that be if music got really heavy during the 80's?

Eh, 70's Rush had some Metal moments, but it was Progressive Rock for the most part.

Now...Priest on the other hand...
Here, try these out:
Genocide
Call For The Priest/Let Us Prey
Dissident Aggressor
Stained Class
Exciter

Heavy fucking METAL.

Rush never was one to follow trends. They were mellowing out about the same time the New Wave of British Heavy Metal took hard rock to new heights. Rush was definitely much heavier in the 70s, more like progressive hard rock. Moving Pictures was their last album where they featured distortion guitar front and center. After that they turned to progressive rock and lost most of their fanbase (although the diehards still swear by them to this day).

The saYer said:
I am not familiar with most 70's music, but I hear that priest and rush did their best albums in the 70's , what I am more interseted in is that I saw a review that said that 70's rush was more metallic?, but how can that be if music got really heavy during the 80's?

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Rush never was one to follow trends. They were mellowing out about the same time the New Wave of British Heavy Metal took hard rock to new heights. Rush was definitely much heavier in the 70s, more like progressive hard rock. Moving Pictures was their last album where they featured distortion guitar front and center. After that they turned to progressive rock and lost most of their fanbase (although the diehards still swear by them to this day).

I agree with every word written here. In the late 70s I called Rush a progressive hard rock band. They made some of their best albums in this period; "2112", "A Farewell to Kings, and "Hemispheres".

Check out those albums.

As for Priest, Sad Wings Of Destiny [1976], Stained Class [1978]
Killing Machine/Hell bent for Leather [1978], and Unleashed In The East[1979] are some of the best metal albums ever released! In fact this may be my favorite Priest period.

Btw if you want to check out the Hard rock of the 70s don't forget the albums of Scorpions [Uli Roth!] and UFO [Michael Schenker!!].

I said it once and I'll say it again; on the Old School forum the real Old School is not really appreciated as it should be. At least that what I think. But perhaps I am just an old nostalgic fogie...:)

Another vote for UFO... Obsession, No heavy petting and lights out are great 70s rock albums with some geat Schenker guitar work. If your not that familiar with the albums Rainbow made in the 70s I would suggest checking out some old Rainbow CDS like the debut, Rising (an awesome 70s rock album) and long live rock n roll

The 1970s, in my view, owns metal. It's its best decade, by far.

Listen to Rainbow's "Light in the Black", Priest's "Stained Class", Scorpion's "Sails of Charon", Motorhead's "Overkill", Purple's "Highway Star", AC/DC's "Let there Be Rock" and any Sabbath and tell me that this isn't heavier than ANYTHING from the 80s....yes, heavier than thrash (ok, Slayer is heavier, but not much else).

Priest's best days were, IMO, 1976-1980 (Sad Wings through British Steele).

Hawk said:
I said it once and I'll say it again; on the Old School forum the real Old School is not really appreciated as it should be. At least that what I think. But perhaps I am just an old nostalgic fogie...:)

I agree 100%. You are an old fogie..... errr.... I mean we should appreciate 70's music. Due to my age, I was able to enjoy 70's music, but it was mostly what was played on radio. Even the radio rock had it's great moments in the 70's though. Luckily enough, I did go back to the mid-70's up through very early 80's metal from some bands and love quite a bit of that era's music.

Radio stuff I like from that era: Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, BOSTON, Kansas, Aerosmith, The Stones, AC/DC, Steve Miller, Supertramp... etc.

Seventies stuff I became interested in after the 70's.

Scorps, Sabbath, DP, Rush, Floyd, BLACKFOOT, Priest, Accept, Rainbow, and a little BOC which I intend on getting more of their stuff.

Bryant

Hawk said:

Bryant said:
I agree 100%. You are an old fogie..... errr....

Indeed I am! :tickled:

Bryant said:
I mean we should appreciate 70's music. Due to my age, I was able to enjoy 70's music, but it was mostly what was played on radio. Even the radio rock had it's great moments in the 70's though. Luckily enough, I did go back to the mid-70's up through very early 80's metal from some bands and love quite a bit of that era's music.

Radio stuff I like from that era: Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, BOSTON, Kansas, Aerosmith, The Stones, AC/DC, Steve Miller, Supertramp... etc.

Those are indeed all great bands. Especially Kansas is an old [indeed!] favorite of mine. "Songs for America", "Leftoverture" and "Point of Known Return" are all fabulous albums.

And AC/DC with Bon Scott on vocals be long to my long time favorites as well, I am very much looking out for their "Family Jewels" DVD that will tell their history.

Bryant said:
Seventies stuff I became interested in after the 70's.

Scorps, Sabbath, DP, Rush, Floyd, BLACKFOOT, Priest, Accept, Rainbow, and a little BOC which I intend on getting more of their stuff.

Bryant

Blackfoot were great and they have a huge following in the hard rock/metal world. They were an fantastic live band. I saw them live as a support act of Scorpions in Amsterdam. I once posted a message about the many onknown high quality 70s bands. I might repost it here.

Hawk said:
Blackfoot were great and they have a huge following in the hard rock/metal world. They were an fantastic live band. I saw them live as a support act of Scorpions in Amsterdam. I once posted a message about the many onknown high quality 70s bands. I might repost it here.

Blackfoot almost created a genre of their own. I do love some Southern rock and respect The Allmans, Skynyrd, etc. and I love some hard rock like Nazareth, Bad Company Etc. but I honestly can't think of more than a handful of bands really more underappreciated than Blackfoot.
I respect consistancy and Blackfoot was unfortunately not that. That may have been their downfall, but when Medlocke was "on" with his songwriting, he was really "ON !!" It is hard to write better songs than the best they had to offer like "Highway Song" and "Diary of a Working Man."

Bryant

The saYer said:

Putting revisionist againts the wall you can truly understand metal as phenomena form the 70's and on. Having that in mind Rush was metal since its inception (prog metal if you care).

To me their haeaviest moments are indeed in the 70s: "2112", "A Farewell To Kings", "Caress Of Steel". Please check those, you'll not regret it.

For JP was the other way around their most metallic times was from "British Steel" and on, but among their finest music was between "Sadwings Of Destiny" and "Unleashed In The East" (most probably one of the heaviest live albums ever).

Hey, thanks alot, that was really helpful.
I just needed a small break from 80's, very very small though.

It just seemed awkward that rush would lose the metal when metal was in charge.
but there you go, and I also checked out the priest and it is AWESOOOOOOME!!(donatello)

oh and the rainbow, & scorpions have a very unique sound, very nice.

The saYer said:
Hey, thanks alot, that was really helpful.
I just needed a small break from 80's, very very small though.

It just seemed awkward that rush would lose the metal when metal was in charge.
but there you go, and I also checked out the priest and it is AWESOOOOOOME!!(donatello)

oh and the rainbow, & scorpions have a very unique sound, very nice.

I am glad you are liking what you are hearing. When interessted I have some more bands you might like.

I PMed you. Check your mail :cool:

basically, all Priest and Rush albums are great.
My favourite releases from both bands are:
Judas Priest - Painkiller (1990)
Rush - 2112 (1976)