8/31/04

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
On August 31, 2004 these two metal giants will be unleashed:

Mastodon - Leviathan
Lamb of God - From the Ashes of the Wake (or something like that)

I love both bands, but Mastodon is obviously the better of the two (IMO). Which one do you think will get all the recognition/awards/amazing reviews, and which one will sell the most? Lamb of God is now on Epic . . . if that makes your decision any easier.

Lamb of God kind of reminds me of Pantera. They continue to get heavier, but for some reason the big labels want them.

I'm sure I will love both of these albums, but I already know which one will blow me away.

Does Mastadon still have that crazy drummer? I need to check them out.

Heard Lamb of God only once, they didn't impress me.

Nate The Great said:
Mastodon is obviously the better of the two (IMO).
I wouldn't disagree with that. Remission was great.

Which one do you think will get all the recognition/awards/amazing reviews, and which one will sell the most? Lamb of God is now on Epic . . . if that makes your decision any easier.
LoG fits into mallcore/MTV2/nu-OzzFest fan territory. It should sell well even without all the publicity it's bound to get.

The new Mastadon is pretty good. I've heard it. The vocalist does some clean vox which are currently a turnoff, and it is a tad different but it is still growing on me.

Lamb of God is actually mistakenly lumped in with all that mallcore crap. They are straight up metal. I don't see how people can call them mallcore. I understand that you were saying they are merely lumped in with that bunch, but IMO they are a big step above stuff like Killswitch Engage and Otep.

Nate The Great said:
Lamb of God is actually mistakenly lumped in with all that mallcore crap. They are straight up metal. I don't see how people can call them mallcore. I understand that you were saying they are merely lumped in with that bunch, but IMO they are a big step above stuff like Killswitch Engage and Otep.
Yeah, I agree. What I mean is, it is likely that mallcore fans will be able to digest this kind of stuff (as opposed to, you know, other forms of metal whether it be King Diamond or Hate Forest), and therefore, it has a good chance of selling well (to a semi-mainstream audience). This also applies to bands like Shadows Fall, God Forbid, In Flames, etc.

LoG are LIGHTYEARS away from that lumped group. LoG are actually awesome imho. I can't see how thrash fans wouldn't like it either. Total headbanging music that pumps you up.

BloodStainedWalls said:
LoG are LIGHTYEARS away from that lumped group. LoG are actually awesome imho. I can't see how thrash fans wouldn't like it either. Total headbanging music that pumps you up.
That's how I view them, and Mastodon for that matter despite not being a huge fan of either...balls out heaviness with some of the good elements of hardcore added. And some of those riffs on Palaces just kill, instantly wiping away any tired genre concerns.

Yeah, I was going to mention LoG pulling out some terrific riffs. I don't listen to the albums often but when I do, I totally rock out. I'm more of a doom/stoner/black metal type of guy. I go for atmosphere.

I don't own any LoG, I only know what I see on MTV, or stuff that's on free compilations. I did like that Devin Townsend production on their last one...

Mastodon's "March of the Fire Ants" is a great song. Kinda makes me think of what new Sepultura could sound like if they put some real thought into their songwriting efforts. Having said that, I hardly ever listen to the album. I prefer to appreciate it from afar.

lurch70 said:
Both Slayer and Kreator were pushed back to 2005
So first you tell me that the new Kreator will be a mix between Extreme Agression and Violent Revolution. Then you tell me it's been pushed back to 2005. Are you here to torture me? :loco: