8 minutes of death metal...where do I go from here?

Dylan S

Celephai
Feb 27, 2009
Australia
Hey guys,

I normally post in the 'rate my mix' section but most of my threads are more about compositional ideas rather than engineering ideas. I of course take engineering advice as well, but a lot of what I post is unfinished songs that I want opinions on to see if they are worth keeping or see if you might share some ideas on where to go with them.

I wrote this over the last couple of weeks. I didn't really intend it to turn out this long but the ideas just sort of kept coming and it just kept rolling. What do you think?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1044020/Epic recto win.mp3

I typed this up asking my band what they think, so I'll put it here too...

"I think it's really good but I think if there were some extra bits it might work out better. Perhaps some longer quieter aprts for some expressive soloing to add a little more contrast, a change in tempo back to the original in order to link it back in with some of the early riffs, or other ideas?

I think that the riff after the black metal part and just before that first little solo, COULD be a cool one to end on in a sort of fade out, but that's just another idea.

I'm beyond the point of having a fuckload of ideas to use and now it most definitely needs resolving. Finishing it really quickly could be awesome but I am not sure if it would be a shame to not visit some of those early riffs? Maybe it's better to just have it go on without coming back to something familiar?

Even ending it now would still mean another couple of minutes to make sure the ending isn't heaps abrupt anyway. I'd definitely like to have at least 1 or 2 more solos in there to help get across the feeling of this section at the end being sort of hectic and full of big bendy leads and stuff.

I think those thrashy riffs need to come back into it at some point too, or do they? Would it be weird having them only appear in the song in that one spot or are they too good to not have them appear somewhere else?"

What do you guys reckon?

:)

Really thought I'd get more comments in this section of the forum. 83 views and not one though? :lol: Surely someone has something to tell me that will help me finish this off or even just tell me they like it?

I'm at work so i can't listen dude, i'll have a check back when i get on my break and listen on my phone or something...

i'm shit when it comes to writing though so don't expect much more than a "dude that sounds awesome"

I've got a crap internet connection so I can't download it yet, but I'll be going to a internet shop in a few days and I'll get it then, but it does sound like it will be interesting, I love long songs :D