8 stringer under 660eu?

nezvers

Beast
Oct 5, 2010
Latvia, Riga
I'm going to order 8stringer, but I don't know best for my budget. I really loved tone in my ex shecter Damian elite 7 with EMG 81/85. So my initial thought was Shecter blackjack ATX, because SD blackouts.

Maybe there is better bang for buck - tighter low notes; maybe bit shorter neck scale; without necessary aftermarket upgrades.

I'm having roughly 700eu and living in Latvia, where import taxes suck, so primary looking at Andertons or Thomann.

on the thomann site there are schecter, LTD, ibanez and lackson models in your price range.
i's go for Schecter or ibanez. the Indonesian LTD's are crappy. i can't tell if these are korean
or indonesian models though, however regarding the price i'd bet it's indonesia.
can't tell anything about jackson, the ibanez should be chinese and i'm pretty sure the schecters are made in korea,
if you don't look at the extra cheap ones.

however korean guitars > china, indonesia, india etc.

means > SCHECTER! :D

this jackson looks pretty sick though...

Jackson Pro DKA8 Dinky MBK

My previous guitar Schecter Damian Elite 7 was from Indonesia and there was NOTHING to complain about. I sold it solely because of Floyd rose. Awesome guitar and tone. Pity that on 8 string version it has 808 pickups (I really loved 81/85). Since Blackouts sound 95% like EMG 81 I thought to go Schecter Blackjack route, but maybe there is something lower price.
Andertons have Blackjack ATX for £549.00 (699Eu) which is little bit over my budget and I would need another month to get rest money (by that time guitar can be gone from stock)

I have the ATX 7 string fixed bridge version of that guitar, it's a good product and I would say the £549 is a very good deal on it but it may be the older shorter scale versions at that price. My original suggestion to you was going to be save a bit more and get the Iron Label 8 which I have played on quite a bit and I think that it's an excellent choice in this price range. Seeing as you said you want a shorter neck, I'd go with the Schecter, the older ATXs have a 26 inch scale but the Ibby is 27. In most cases the more cash you spend the better the guitar.

I'd give very careful consideration into buying an 8 mail order and I would try and do what you can to actually playing one first. I have two 7 strings with one having a scale length of 27 but when I played on my friend's Iron Label 8 I had actual pain to my left hand which has more or less put an end to my plans to get an eight myself. This is not to put down the Ibby, it was a well made solid product with a nice tone, and of course you are a different player to me. Just wanted to share my experience.

Dude, thanks for your input.
Locally there is no real choice - 3 main music instrument shops; 2 of them have something for extended range guitars; my favorite shop have only 2 8stringers (schecter omen and maybe demon) and other shop, I think, doesn't have 8 stringers at all.

I have really good experience with Andertons shipping. Blackjack have same 26,5'' scale as my previous Damien elite 7, so it's the same. Before you mentioned scale length I didn't check Blackjack length and assumed that it have longer scale than is, hence I asked for shorter scale existence (I was under impression that schecters have 2nd longest scales after mayones).

My previous guitar Schecter Damian Elite 7 was from Indonesia and there was NOTHING to complain about.

the "wood" and "craft" aspect is basically the same but
the indonesian models feature inferior hardware and especially inferior electronics, say pickups, pots, switches, wiring etc.
it does not necessary have to be a bad thing but mostly and unfortunately it is.
if you can live with that, then it's OK of course ;)

I wouldn't say that there was something inferior With Damian elite 7, although that was my best guitar I have had and could afford with year long money collecting.
I probably don't get something, but 81-7/85-7 isn't bad pickups in my book and same with Grover tuner bad hardware, and wiring looked really good. Only lower grade guitar sign I see is bolt on neck.