'80s in America

Violens

Jun 14, 2007
I've just turned 21, so I will never know how the life in general was during the '80s in America (USA, Canada..). I mean the most of you who lived those years not as a child was probably already interested in music. How did you lead your life dealing with, say, study, music + every kind of interest and social realtions? How were the people? What kind of atmosphere did you feel during those days?

Reading it after posting makes me see it as a lil' bit confused message. Anyway, if you wanna answer..

+1

This decade sucks.
Its a shame I have to grow up in it, I'd probably have liked the 90's more.

When i think of 80´s America this is what first comes to my mind,brr.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH3vvXi8k8M&feature=related[/ame]

Seeing the movie 'The Day After' in 1983 when I was 9 years old, combined with getting turned on to metal at about the same time, was the central moment in my 80's experience.

That goddamn movie fucked with my head in ways I still can't even describe.

The 80's as a whole, for me, were incredibly long, magical, crazy, intense, and filled with anxiety of all kinds. I was prematurely aware of the fact that the world is an extremely fucked up place in a lot of ways; at the same time, I felt an indescribable hope for future possibility. A friend of mine had an older brother who was in high school and a metalhead, I used to love hanging out in his room looking at all his Maiden/etc. posters and listening to whatever metal records he was playing. I remember seeing the Quiet Riot 'Cum On Feel The Noize' video when it first came out on Friday Night Videos (we lived in the country and didn't have MTV), it's laughable now but at the time it was SOOOOO fucking cool!!

In short, the 80's and the cold war and all that shit was what shaped the origins of metal. Despite all the shit about that decade, it was still an amazing time, the DIY underground was born then!

Last edited by a moderator: