8DIO Progressive Metal Guitar

sinewavealex

Keyboard player
Oct 14, 2010
Israel
Djent guitarists, you are no longer needed!!!

So...that's a pretty impressive library for Kontakt. Too bad it only includes pre-recorded phrases, but Djent phrases tend to get pretty repetitive in my opinion and someone creative could definitely squeeze the juice out of this awesome library. Seriously considering getting it.

http://8dio.com/?btp_product=progressive-metal

Progressive Metal delivers a fully-fledged collection of brutal hard rocking 7 and 8-string guitar phrases in the style of Djent (ex. Meshuggah, Periphery, nods to Rammstein & Metallica). The collection includes 67 patches containing over 1500 deep-sampled phrases organized for song writing (ex. intro, verse, bridge, chorus, outtro). The full product contains over 600 minutes of high-end session material boiled down to the meanest collection of phat and mean heavy guitars. The library was created with some of the best 8 strings (ex. Mayones Custom, EST/LTD, Ibanez RG series) fitted with world-class pickups (ex. Bare Knuckle, Aftermath, Lundgren), pre-amps (Fractal Audio), amps (ex. Mesa Rectifier, Diezel VH4). This is the most comprehensive selection of 8-string heavy guitars ever sampled.

Progressive Metal is using a highly advanced, yet ultra-intuitive layout that essentially allows you to control most things from your keyboard. The bottom part of the keyboard controls the pitch of the guitars. The mid part of the keyboard controls the guitar phrases. The upper part of the keyboard gives you real-time control over all the effects, including distortion, phaser, flanger, lofi, convolution reverb, delay, lowpass, hipass and several other effects. In addition we also added a grain (bit-resolution) to the pitch bender and filter to the mod wheel – giving you an extreme amount of controls right at your fingertips.

Performers on Progressive Metal were John Browne, Peter Graves and Jan Hoeglund.

Specs:

+1500 Deep-Sampled Progressive Metal Phrases
+60 Patches
Logically organized into intros, outros, choruses, verses, endings etc.
Bonus: 46 Motion Picture Drone synths
Custom convolution reverb
Modwheel control of filter
Pitch-bender control of bit-resolution
Keyboard swithes for all FX
Flanger
Lo-fi
Rotator
Delay
Convolution
Reverb
Distortion
Phaser
Lowpass Filter
Highpass Filter
Bandpass
+60 (TBD) Kontakt .nki files
+1500 (TBD) samples
3.4 GB installed in Kontakt NCW format (uncompressed 6.3GB)
24 bit / 44.1 kHz stereo PCM wav format
Sample resolution: 44.1Khz / 24Bit stereo .NCW (Kontakt Lossless Compression)
Format(s): Kontakt
Important Note: Native Instruments Kontakt +4.2 full retail versions required for this instrument.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I got better gear to record clean I could make better sample Library. Already done some sampled notes (quack= open, Powerchords, palmuted single notes/ powerchords, some disonant chords) and all that to make some djentstep because I can't get my guitar all time with me + I can write some stuff I can't play :D

I spoke to John Browne (One of the guitar players who recorded this) and he said that this product isn't about creating instant songs without having any musical abilities but more is directed to soundtrack designers that require a bit of guitar in their compsitions.

I spoke to John Browne (One of the guitar players who recorded this) and he said that this product isn't about creating instant songs without having any musical abilities but more is directed to soundtrack designers that require a bit of guitar in their compsitions.

I fear that this will not be used for what it was intended.

I fear that this will not be used for what it was intended.

still, they get more money if people buy it for songwriting purposes so more power to them.

it's in the human nature to find the easiest possible route for everything, and i'm absolutely certain this product will spawn some "prog metal" songs because there are people who just want to feel like they sound like their favorite bands without actually having the skill and gear to do so.

this could be cool in its actual purpose, soundtrack composition, as it's kinda new in that area but if i'll hear these riffs in a "serious song by a serious artist" i will point and laugh.

on a sidenote, i just received an email from 8DIO about a new "Songwriting Guitar" tool, which i think would actually prove useful. it contains chords played on 3 guitars in different ways, it sounded really convincing too. i can't believe this isn't what they made as the very first product in their guitar line.

The full product contains over 600 minutes of high-end session material boiled down to the meanest collection of phat and mean heavy guitars. The library was created with some of the best 8 strings (ex. Mayones Custom, EST/LTD, Ibanez RG series) fitted with world-class pickups (ex. Bare Knuckle, Aftermath, Lundgren), pre-amps (Fractal Audio), amps (ex. Mesa Rectifier, Diezel VH4). This is the most comprehensive selection of 8-string heavy guitars ever sampled.

EST/LTD :lol:

BTW now that I think of it, I've never heard ANY guitar sample library with decent palm-muted strokes for metal purposes. The ones that I do know and bought (Electricity, Prominy LPC) sound kinda meh in that area