90's Candlemass

Which 90's Candlemass album is the best?

• Chapter VI

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Dactylis Glomerata

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • From the 13th Sun

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
Inspired by some of the talk in the '98 thread, which of the three Candlemass albums released after Messiah's departure and prior to his 2005 return do you consider the best? I liken this era of the band to the Tony Martin era of Sabbath. Under the radar and different sounding from what is considered the classic era but still great albums that show a different side of the band, or more accurately Leif Edling seeing as he eventually became the sole original member.

While all three albums are worth hearing, my vote goes for From the 13th Sun. Their most explicitly Sabbath influenced album (its even dedicated to Sabbath) with a bit of Hawkwind spaciness tossed in for good measure, its a massive sounding album, certainly one of their heaviest and the whole outer space vibe gives it a unique atmosphere.

Haven't heard Dactylis but I prefer From the 13th Sun by a decent amount over Chapter VI. It's not as Candlemass-y but it seems solid enough, whereas Chapter VI is just boring.

Some of the spacey elements actually started with Dactylis Glomerata. Underrated album.

Chapter VI is my favourite of the 90's Candlemass albums though and my third favourite overall by them.
I love Thomas Vikström's vocals, the production and the cheesy (almost retro video game-esque) synths playing throughout the album really does a lot for me.

That said, 90's Candlemass in general is underrated as fuck.