96k game,awesome

NGC 3370

Star Shooter Supreme
Mar 6, 2004
Hey I just downloaded a game that was only 96k and it is way cool for the size. unbelievable what it contains for the size.
check it out for yourself
www.theprodukkt.com :OMG:

This game has serious issues with clipping and collision detection :p

But seriously that was pretty awesome for less than 100k, some cool lighting effects. I got stuck though. Got to a door that would open, but I couldnt go through and the spider things on the other side were frozen :(

I have a 2.53 GHz system with 512 MB RAM, Radeon 8500, blah blah... and that game slow as hell!

Sunlapse said:
do they have a FAQ or something that explains it?

There's a readme in the zip file with the details in it.

- We do .not. have some kind of magical data compression machine that is able to squeeze
hundreds of megabytes of mesh/texture and sound data into 96k. We merely store the
individual steps employed by the artists to produce their textures and meshes, in a very
compact way. This allows us to get .much. higher data density than is achievable with
normal data compression techniques, at some expense in artistic freedom and loading times.
- .kkrieger is not written in 100% assembler/machine language. Not even nearly. Like the
vast majority of game projects being developed today, .kkrieger was mostly written in
C++, with some tiny bits of assembler where it is actually advantageous (notably, there
are a lot of MMX optimisations in the texture generator).
- A kilobyte is, historically, defined to be 1024 (2^10) bytes, not 1000. Thus .kkrieger is
a game in 96k even though it's actually 98304 bytes.
- The concept of the texture/mesh generators was developed by fiver2. We do .not. want to
claim that the techniques we used to develop .kkrieger are new inventions. It´s rather a
selection of useful operations and their parameters to optimise the results.

Runs ok but not that well on my machine. 2500+, 512mb PC-3200, 9600XT.

actually
this is a new form of the origional idea, called the product. (releasted sometime 2001 or something)
it was a 64 kb video, that lasts about 15 minutes. i dont reemember
the origonal site to download it...
so google it.
keywords to use = the party, the product, 64 kb movie