A band that needs some buzz...

I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but i think Glenn has mentioned before that a band from Brazil is really hard to get to the US due to the VISA issue, and I can vouch for that as we Brought MINDFLOW to MADFEST and they are from Brazil, and it took 7 months to get a visa, and they were willing to do it themselves(how they did it I won't speculate), so unless things have changed I don't see this band happening anytime soon unless the visa rules change.

What is the big holdup with the VISA's? I mean, other countries have to deal with them and they don't take that long. Hell, if it's a money issue, I'll pay for the fuckin things just to get them here!!

What is the big holdup with the VISA's? I mean, other countries have to deal with them and they don't take that long. Hell, if it's a money issue, I'll pay for the fuckin things just to get them here!!

Since 9/11 there has been a program in place called "The Visa Waiver Program" as of now there are approximently 27 countries on the program. These countries have subscribed to the program and it take little if no time at all to get a visa if you are from one of them. If not then there is a short book you have to fill out for the visa and if you make a mistake then it is rejected and you start over. Then you go for interviews and then the process is made up of wait. And it cost allot of money also. Just a short explanation of that screwed up process.

Wow, what an unbelievable pain in the ass. So I take it that Brazil has not joined the "27 elite countries"... that sucks. I still think it would be worth it for them to pursue it, and just from talking to the guys, I am almost positive they would anyway. They are really hungry to play here!

Wow, what an unbelievable pain in the ass. So I take it that Brazil has not joined the "27 elite countries"... that sucks. I still think it would be worth it for them to pursue it, and just from talking to the guys, I am almost positive they would anyway. They are really hungry to play here!

If Dragonforce and Cellador can catch on to the American audience, surley Hibria can. :kickass:

~Brian~

Yeah, I know, but that's why I offered to sponsor them. They deserve this shot more than a hundred other bands IMO. They would crush the place if they only got the chance.

As of today, the wait time to get a visa at a US consulate in Brazil is as follows:

141 working days to get the appointment for the Visa Interview (Working days are only the days the Consulate is actually open)

41 working days to process.

that is a total of 181 working days, or a total of 36 weeks(if there are no holidays or days the consulate is closed).

So you see not only is it money issue it is a time, and paperwork hassle.

As of today, the wait time to get a visa at a US consulate in Brazil is as follows:

141 working days to get the appointment for the Visa Interview (Working days are only the days the Consulate is actually open)

41 working days to process.

that is a total of 181 working days, or a total of 36 weeks(if there are no holidays or days the consulate is closed).

So you see not only is it money issue it is a time, and paperwork hassle.

*nods* +1 !!! :zombie:

Visas can be pain for sure. Currently, though, the US government exempts nationals from 27 countries from needing to get a visa for stays in the US for 90 days or less. This apparently includes work visas. Any time beyond 90 days and who knows what you get into.

These countries include:

Andorra
Iceland
Norway
Australia
Ireland
Portugal
Austria
Italy
San Marino
Belgium
Japan
Singapore
Brunei
Liechtenstein
Slovenia
Denmark
Luxembourg
Spain
Finland
Monaco
Sweden
France
The Netherlands
Switzerland
Germany
New Zealand
United Kingdom

You'll notice no South American country is in this list. We can debate why endlessly I'm sure. I'll confess I don't know the criteria for who gets in the visa waiver program but I am sure, in part, it is a subjective process. It is true that South American nationals wanting visas to the US a guaranteed usually a long wait with no guarantee of success when the time comes to have the visa issued. I was pleased, for example, that Mindflow obtained their visas in good order but if memory serves me correctly it was touch and go for quite sometime if they would actually receive them at all or in time for Texas Madfest if they did.

When I stop to think about the number of foreign bands I have seen in this country on tour the vast majority have nationals from one of the above mentioned visa waiver countries. I suppose Canada and Mexico may operate to a set of different rules (NAFTA) but I cannot speculate on that topic.

I was pleased, for example, that Mindflow obtained their visas in good order but if memory serves me correctly it was touch and go for quite sometime if they would actually receive them at all or in time for Texas Madfest if they did.

Correct. John & I were biting our nails for a very long time. It didn't look good when Angra were "denied" (or couldn't get in time) their Visas in early spring. They had previous been to the US and were scheduling a full North American tour, whereas MindFlow had never been granted Visas and were only playing (at the time) 2 shows. Luckily, MindFlow started early enough and had awesome lawyers and John helping them out! That made all the difference.

If you want to see all that is required to be a member country of the Visa Waiver Program and all it takes to get a visa and why Canada and Mexico and Bermuda(yes Bremuda) have a different set of rules go to the following.

www.usimmigrationsupport.org

As a Brazilian who lives in the US, I am fully aware of how complicated the process is... I had to renew my visa a few times before I finally got my green card in 05... But before that, it was a nightmare each time we had to renew our visas..
We had to go back to Brazil and schedulle interviews at the american consulate.. At one occasion we had to go back for 3 or 4 interviews to satisfy all their requirements...

But to be honest, it's kinda understandable.. They need to scan everyone as the amount of brazilians who come on tourist visas and stay for good in the US is pretty considerable...
The only thing they could work on, imo, is the number of consulates.. I undestand the cost of maitaining a consulate, but in a country as large as Brazil, 4 consulates is not enough, resulting in huge waiting times for appointments, as Pyramaze51 noted.... There is One in Sao Paulo, one in Rio de Janeiro, one in Brasilia (the capital) and one in Recife... Or just hire more staff and expedite the process.. But waiting over 6 months for a visa is frustrating.. :(

Allrighty, then. I browsed this thread and saw the love for this band. So, I checked their myspace page to check out the sample tunes and have come to the conclusion that this band fucking rips and needs to be here for a Progpower show WAY sooner than later! damn, they fucking smoke!

It's all about spreading the word, bro. That's what threads like this are designed to do. This band should be HUGE, but still not that many are aware of them. Instead, we get inundated with bands like Dragonforce, Rhapsody, etc. etc.....

After reading all of John's VISA posts though, I really wish they were from one of those 27 countries on the list!! Goddamn immigration dept.... they should make exceptions for bands that come here to play for one weekend.

It's all about spreading the word, bro. That's what threads like this are designed to do. This band should be HUGE, but still not that many are aware of them. Instead, we get inundated with bands like Dragonforce, Rhapsody, etc. etc.....

After reading all of John's VISA posts though, I really wish they were from one of those 27 countries on the list!! Goddamn immigration dept.... they should make exceptions for bands that come here to play for one weekend.

I agree with you totally on this, maybe we should start a petition to get this introduced in congress. Just a thought

I'll be the downer. Some interesting things occur on this album, but at the heart of it there isn't much new. Its a genre love album that feels like more of an attempt to make music that they already love. Full of talent, some wicked guitar melodies, enjoyable to listen to, but doesn't seperate from the pack from me! But I have some high hopes that their next album will define them more.

If you really think about it, A LOT of bands don't break any new ground, but if the material is strong , so fuckin' what!! Enjoy it for what it is!!!!!!:headbang: