A Cool Moment (OT...with an Enchant tangent)

Frank

Electric Monk
Jan 24, 2003
Painesville, Ohio
Visit site
I mentioned in the raving thread about how my son (7 years old) was kicking his feet to the beat of Sinking Sand while trying to sing along with Ted. It was a cool moment that reminded me of another cool moment with my daughter. Those of us in this forum seem to have similar attitudes, so I'd like to share that moment with you.

Keep in mind that I expose my kids to good rock'n'roll music and they seem to enjoy it. Once, while listening to the Ramones, I pointed to the speaker and said to my daughter, "THIS is rock'n'roll!". Then we danced.

A few years ago I finally found and bought the CD version of Grand Funk Railroad's, E Pluribus Funk. It was one of my big favorites as a teen, well actually slightly pre-teen. My daughter was around 6 or 7 years old at the time I got the CD.

I took the disc upstairs and plopped it into the pc and turned up the speakers. My daughter heard the music and came upstairs. She asked, "Is this rock'n'roll daddy?", to which I wholeheartedly replied "Yes it is, Sweety."

We then proceeded to dance to the entire album without stopping. We had a blast, laughing and dancing. THAT was a very special moment for me that I will NEVER forget.

That's how much music means to me.

Frank
- Thanks guys for having the drive to create music...

Frank

You are TRULY a lover of music! And a great Father! What an amazing post! Thanks for sharing that with all of us!

My son Darren just turned 8 just about a month ago. He has asked me a few times Dad is this Rock and Roll Heavy Metal ect! at a younger age! I don,t think he really understands it all yet but he is starting to see what Enchant is now. And music ion general.

He said I like this song Dad it is beautiful, that blew me away. Especially when he told me that yesterday while I was going over some of the material we are preparing for the tour.

The song " Follow the Sun" :) and that one has deep deep meaning for not only me but all of us! One of Dougs all time best for sure! I explained to him just what the song is about and he really got it :)

I got him a Red Fender Strat for his B-Day and my amazing friend Doug and his "Beautiful" wife Robin got him a little mini Marshall.

He is just starting to play with it and show some real interest in playing now! I started to show him a little of the song and he played along with me as I practiced for a little while before haeding off to rehearsal. It was oner of those moments! He said dad I will play too OK :)

I think this may be the beginning of something very amazing :)

I think this may be the beginning of something very amazing :)[/QUOTE]

Wow, these are the posts that REALLY get to me. You both are great dads! My daughter is now 15--her dad and I exposed her early to music--I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with her when we went to hear Robert Plant, she kicked me all the way through! I've taken her to many concerts and local shows, including Rush three times, so she is very ready for our first Enchant concert! She's also into just about everything else, and constantly points out to me, the differences between all the many genres of music these days (duh, mom!)And of course, living with her, I must listen to her music, as well, but I don't mind, mostly!! (I like Korn, but...the Sex Pistols, I don't know...) I learn so much from HER! We went to the FW/DT/QR show and she is so observant, hears so much in the music, it's wonderful to share that with her. Ed, that is so cool that you can actually teach your music to your son, and that he's interested--exciting, isn't it! I don't play anything (except cds!) but I also got my kid a red Fender Strat, when she started high school last year. She's working on it in her own way, at her own pace, which is cool. I'm just so thankful that she has that profound love of music--it's like breathing for her, an absolute necessity. Having kids is like that, isn't it, once you have them, you just can't imagine life without them, like life without music. Thanks, you guys!