A door.

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
Making my back room a drum room/tracking room. I need a door that will get me decent attenuation.

Should I just start with a steel door and seal that bitch as best as possible? I don't know what they put inside steel doors, so I don't know how much level reduction I'm going to get. They aren't that expensive though at $140 for just the door. Shoot I could probably do 2 of them, one behind each other for that price.

we had an hollow steel door in our last rehearsal space, filled it with some stuff that looked
like sand for noise reduction (used for noise reduction beyond flooring normally) and it worked
great.
The door's weight increased alot (almost 40kg of the stuff was put inside there, got it for free)
but it was pretty awesome, before we put it in there, you almost couldn't rehearse because it
was so loud outside, after we did it, it was way, way quieter.

I have no db values or anything like that, but it felt like it reduced the volume about 75% at least.

2 doors may work well, too, we wanted that originally but we weren't allowed to install a second
door, we just put a curtain in front of the door on the inside to get rid of the reflection of the
steel door, helped the sound in the room, didn't really matter for the volume outside.

two doors would give the best attenuation. Ideally you want a door, then air gap, then the other door. If you can hang a door on each side of the door frame, that might be possible. You may need to use some low profile door knobs for clearance between the doors.

I would think using solid wood doors would be best...

53Crëw;10526880 said:
I would think using solid wood doors would be best...

This.

At the rehearsal place I had a space at last year, both main rehearsal rooms had solid wood doors.. about 30-35 cms, I think. The isolation those things gave was a thing to behold.

Room B had a steel (hollow) door outside, and then the wooden one inside. Whenever bands would close just the steel door, one could easily tell (by ear), and the employee had to go over, enter and close the wood door. Business was open for bands up until 10-11pm in a residential area, no problem ;)

Wooden doors can be much lighter than steel ones, and cheaper of course. The only downside is such a door won't provide any security (rather pointless to put a lock on it).

*ah, don't forget to put rubber around on both sides of the door, to seal it against the wood frame.

No securty needed for these door for this purpose. I'm not worried about leakage to the outside of my house (it's minimal enough to not care). I'm going for min leakage between tracking and control rooms and tracking and upstairs room.

My guess is that the cieling is not insulated so that will probably have to be taken down, insulated with some 705, and redone.

The cieling is the lesser of the 2 needs at this point though.

Weather stripping around the door frame/jam is planned.