a fine day to exit

Sep 2, 2001
this is the greatest anathema album. i don't care what the hell you say. by the time you reply i'm already eating bagle and butter. good bye

And I prefer 'Eternity' and 'Pentecost III'.
In my opinion 'A Fine Day...' is the biggest disappointment of the year. I miss that special Anathema-spirit of their past albums...

Originally posted by Hypnos
In my opinion 'A Fine Day...' is the biggest disappointment of the year. I miss that special Anathema-spirit of their past albums...

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Half of the elements that made Anathema great are gone, and the other half are just annoying without the first half :mad:

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Half of the elements that made Anathema great are gone, and the other half are just annoying without the first half :mad:

AFDTE was easily one of the best albums released in 2001 together with Katatonia's LFDGD. The band has developed with each album and they have never really looked back. So in my opinion it is stupid and ignorant to slack off AFDTE because it is a bit different from the previous albums. In fact, I think it is much more mature and compact than Judgement was (even it has some great songs). AFDTE takes just lots of listens and at first (after few listens) I was also willing to label it as a minor letdown yet it grew on me. So unless you are not able to back up your opinions intelligently, there is no use to say in public that it sucks or that you don't like it because it doesn't sound like TSE, Alt 4 or whatever. I do appreciate your opinions though...

I have to agree with mega on this one. Anyway, you can not compare e.g. TSE with AFDTE. True they are both Anathema albums but they are so different. Much time has passed sins TSE and you can't expect the band not to evolve and mature...

I love both the older and the newer material of Anathema but there are times when the old more agressive style is better suited and other times when the overwhelming sorrow of Judgement is all I want to listen to..

I've never said AFDTE suck or anything like that. It's still a good album and other bands will probably never reach its level. Yet for me, as a Anathema fan, it's a disappointment, because I know they can do better! I don't even compare AFDTE to previous works, for I know the band developes and widens its musical horizon. It's ok for me, that they get softer and lose their metal-roots, so that is not the problem. There are some stunning songs on AFDTE like 'Leave No Trace', 'Release', 'Barriers' or the title track but the other ones lack (in MY opinion) the emotions and the spirit I was used to. It's just the question of personal taste...

I was disappointed about the last album too. The new songs miss the unbelievable intensity of the previous albums. I like the AFDTE, but it isn´t that great, especially live the songs bored me and the most of the people in the "Zeche" in Bochum. Anathema recognized this and changed their setlist during this gig and when you compare the setlist from beginning of the last tour with the last concerts you can see that not as much songs from AFDTE were performed as when the tour started. Maybe the next album will be better...

AFDTE is a very important album, to say the least; it has unbelievable sonic depth, it shows that Anathema are not afraid of sounds (which most metal bands are, unfortunately). Now what the album lacks, is the consistent great songs of the last 3 albums. If the next one combines the gripping melodies of Judgement with the sonic detail and experimentation of Exit, we'll have a masterpiece. Or not.

They're still searching for their identity, though. Hopefully it won't be too late when they find it.

D Mullholand

mmm... it's growing on me... im starting to like this album... i've listened to this more times than to Judgement (i didnt get along with this one)... its like when im ataraxic.. when i think too much to empty my mind... a bit hard to explain. Barriers... im in love with this song. Of course I miss Alternative4 piano entrys and stuff... the song are too simple, Anathema could have done much better... but it as find a way to my playlist very easily... ok it was fucking hard to get from the "uh! what a stupid album" to: "mmm...it's growing on me..."

BUT... Anathema have already created a new album, a guy from a record shop told me so... he said they are going to blast with this one.

Originally posted by LoboUivante
are Anathema still METAL ?

No, but they came out of metal, and that can't be denied.

They are one of the very few metal bands who made a successful (in the artistic sense) transition to rock. It's very hard for a metal (tight, organized, riff-repetitive) band to learn to make rock (loose, jamming, flexible) sound naturally. Anathema have done it.

D Mullholand