Anathema - A Fine Day to Exit

Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
ANATHEMA - A FINE DAY TO EXIT
Koch Records - 2001

By Rodrigo

After holding such a high regard to their previous album Judgement, I was really looking forward to what the follow up album by Anathema would be. As I expected, it is album that is different to everything the band has done before. Not only have they continued to evolve their sound but the music draws influences from other British bands like Pink Floyd and Radiohead.

It has also become an album that has really touched me personally. Its always great to hear an album that you can relate to it and A Fine Day to Exit does just that. Its somber, diverse and tranquil musical journey has really spoken to me in ways that no other release of this year has. When an album can do that to you, the listener is in for a wonderful and truly personal experience.

Produced by Nick Griffiths, who has worked with Pink Floyd and Roger Waters, A Fine Day to Exit has a deeper atmosphere and intensity. "Temporary Peace", the 18 minute long epic that finishes the album, reminds me of "Echoes". The sonic sounds coupled with the seashore waves make for an ethereal atmosphere. The lyrical themes, acoustic guitars and emotional singing of guitarist/singer Vincent Cavanagh in "Leave No Trace" remind me of the first time I heard Wish You Were Here. The piano melody lines, the rhythmic drumming, sonic guitars and subtle singing of "Pressure" undoubtedly sounds like it could belong in Radiohead’s classic O.K. Computer.

But just because these influences are present doesn’t mean that Anathema have forgotten who they are. It’s an exploration of new themes and ideas combined with what the band has done in the past. The intense and driving "Panic" is a song that only Anathema could write and execute so well. As you listen to this song its hard to not feel the emotions and excitement of the song. It is the fastest and heaviest song of the album and should become a fan favorite. "Underworld" combines the intensity of "Panic" with the somber qualities of other songs. It starts slow with an incredible catchy melody riff but before you know it the song is over and you are left wishing for more. "Release" also features amazing guitar work from the Cavanagh brothers (Danny is the other one) throughout the song. It starts with melancholic catchy acoustic riffs. The background is filled with subtle keyboard arrangements from Les Smith. I especially enjoy the bass sounds that come in at the 1:36 point. The whole song has an incredible depth with all the pieces perfectly fitting together. When the electric guitar is introduced at 2:31 it acts like icing on the cake.

Anathema’s progression may not be welcome by some. Gone are the days with the death style singing and to be honest with you I have enjoyed the past couple of albums a lot more than their earlier efforts. With so many metal bands playing metal as fast and as heavy as possible its always a great treat to play such a mature album that explores so many different emotions and can make you feel at peace at the same time. Just because A Fine Day to Exit may not be a metal album it will be a great shame if this was not part of your collection. The experience of listening to it will probably be different than mine but it’s a journey worth taking.

Koch Records Website
Anathema Official Website