Anathema - A fine day to exit

I think AFDTE is horrid, infact I sold my copy yesterday :D There's one song (track 6, I forget the name) that is amazing, a couple of others that are ok, and the rest fail to move me in any way.
And I love Anathema, prior to this album I liked every single song they'd ever done (there are no other bands I can say that about). Great band, hope I like the next one more :D

@ simonc2: the other albums-
First 2 (Serenades and Crestfallen ep) are death/doom, heavy though still melodic (well, the guitars are anyway ;)).
Next 2 (Pentecost III ep and The Silent Enigma) are also Death/doom, but the songs are more atmospheric and longer.
Next 3 (Eternity, Alternative 4, Judgement) see the band get progressively more 'mainstream' in sound (in a good way :D), the harsh vocals are ditched entirely, the heavy guitars get phased out.

It should be noted though, that they manage to retain the same atmosphere and ability to write cool melodies throughout all the albums, so even though the early stuff is hardly recognisable from the newer stuff, it's still obviously the same band, the essential elements are there on all the albums.

[edit]actually, thinking about it, Pentecost and Silent Enigma aren't really death/doom, more just 'doom' but with harsh vocals.

Originally posted by simonc2
What does judgement sound like?

It is beautiful. Lots of piano, clean vox, female vocals, lots and lots of melodies, great songwriting (every song is good trust me), plenty of heavy spots, great lyrics. It is flat out one of the best albums I own. I still listen to it and I've had it for years.

I think AFDTE is a mastepiece, and the perfect direction for Anathema to go, the songs are really personal and expertly written, they are some of the best songwriters in the business and not ashamed to progress and experiment, the vocals on "Leave no trace" are sublime and the mood created by the last two tracks is as good as anything on their previous albums

In saying that though, Their is definitely a Radiohead influence shining through on the album, which please me as they are a worthy influence to any band

Judgement is a beautiful album also, Alt 4 sites just below it on the ladder (it has more filler)

Cheers:)

You can buy ANY anathema album, they all sounds good!
But if you want to introduce you to the complete Anathema univers, I recommand: "a fine day to exit", "judgement", and Resonnance part.1 & 2"

To quote Metal Hammer (the issue I purchased today)

Opeth- Deliverence review

"Also Try:

Anathema-A Fine Day To Exit"

Not saying that Metal Hammer always know what they are talking about, but this reviewer obviously feels the same influence of experimentation and progression is comparable between the two bands.

Goddamnit I wish I could buy the issue also. I'm on it :lol:

I don't believe they usually do know a shit either, but they could be right on the experimentation thing. Though I didn't find much experimenting or progression on Deliverance. And to me AFDTE was just another boring album from Anathema, this time very much in the vein of Radiohead. I used to like Alternative 4, but nowadays it sound way to...amateurish(?).

Do I have a point here...I don't think so.

It was the opposite for me, AFDTE got me back into Anathema, I hadn't listened to them since Eternity, grabbed AFDTE after one of my firends who knew I loved Radiohead and Buckley read a review that compared them, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, and hearing again (constant rotation) and then I went back and got Judgement which I fell in love with almost as much and then Alt. 4 I only picked up a couple of months ago and like it alot, but is yet to fully grow on me.

As far as AFDTE goes, I think every track is beautifully composed, and I especially think the last two tracks hail back to the sombre mood of previous albums.

A fine day to exit was a dissapointment, in my eyes the silent enigma, eternity and alternative4 are brilliant albums, with judgement following. As for their old stuff, I love that as well, but it's different from their new direction. Still bloody good, and sleepless is an awesome track, not to mention the other material. I still need to get PentecostIII.

Suffice to say that after hearing A Fine Day to Exit I never bought it...